How can you aim without knowing the precise position and velocity of a particle?

• Thread starter berty
  • Start date
In summary: So when you shoot a beam of particles at another beam, you are actually looking at the probability of interactions between the two beams. In summary, the uncertainty principle states that precise position and velocity of a particle cannot be known accurately due to the unknown effects of measurement. This raises the question of how particles can be aimed at one another or how data can be gathered without knowing their position or speed. In quantum mechanics, particles are not aimed at one another individually, but rather as a beam of particles interacting with another beam. This interaction can be measured through quantities such as cross-section
berty
The uncertainty principle states that you can never know with any accuracy the precise position and velocity of a particle, because the measurement of such will alter them in an unknown way.
Therefore, if you do not know either the position or speed of a particle, how can you a) aim another particle at it? And b) gather any data?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think they aim at any particular particle...they shoot a swarm at a swarm :) and the data is a swarm of particles that can then be measured...I think...Forgot to add that in increasing the count increases the probability.

Last edited:
Hello berty,

I remember sitting in a lecture where one student asked the professor the same question. The answer was that indeed you don't let collide only 2 particles but many, as Chris Avery said.

Here's a nice animation:
http://www.gsi.de/portrait/Broschueren/Wunderland/Au+Au_2AGeV_b=0fm.mpg [Broken]

http://www.gsi.de/portrait/Broschueren/Wunderland/05_e.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a large number of particle in a beam, and the beam has a cross section, and theory let's you calculate the probability that that cross section will interact with anything. With colliders you have two cross sections and a mutual probabiity.

The number of particles in the cross section is called the luninosity, and one of the main things beam physicists do is to increase the luminosity, maybe by improving the focussing. Thinks of controlling the spray from a hose with an adjustable nozzle.

Last edited:
The physical picture is 2 probability clouds hitting each other. As long as your probability cloud of the first particle hits anywhere in the cloud of the target particle, it has hit it.

berty said:
The uncertainty principle states that you can never know with any accuracy the precise position and velocity of a particle, because the measurement of such will alter them in an unknown way.
Therefore, if you do not know either the position or speed of a particle, how can you a) aim another particle at it? And b) gather any data?

:confused:

In QM, you don't aim just one particle in order to make it interact with another particle. You need to think of an interaction as a beam of particles that interacts/scatters onto a beam of other particles. Quantities like the cross-section/scattering-amplitude of such a beam will give you a notion of what the probability of interaction is.

marlon

1. How do you aim in your experiments?

In order to aim accurately in experiments, I first define a clear research question or hypothesis. Then, I carefully design and plan the experiment, taking into account all variables and potential sources of error. Finally, I use precise and calibrated instruments and follow standardized procedures to ensure accurate measurements and results.

2. How do you ensure accuracy in your aim?

To ensure accuracy in my aim, I pay close attention to details and follow strict protocols. I also use quality control measures, such as repeating experiments and cross-checking data with other researchers. Additionally, I constantly review and analyze my methods to identify and correct any potential sources of error.

3. What factors do you consider when aiming in experiments?

When aiming in experiments, I consider a variety of factors, such as the research question, available resources, potential sources of error, and ethical considerations. I also take into account any previous research or data in the field, and consult with other experts in the field to ensure my aim is comprehensive and well-informed.

4. How do you adjust your aim during an experiment?

During an experiment, I constantly monitor and analyze the data and results. If necessary, I make adjustments to my aim based on any unexpected or inconsistent findings. I also keep detailed records of any changes made to ensure transparency and accuracy in the research process.

5. What role does critical thinking play in aiming for scientific experiments?

Critical thinking is essential in aiming for scientific experiments. It involves questioning assumptions, analyzing evidence, and evaluating potential biases or limitations. By critically evaluating my aim, I can ensure that my research is objective, accurate, and contributes to the advancement of knowledge in my field.