1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you calculate the damping force of a tuned mass damper?

1. May 2, 2012 #1
    For a report I am investigating whether a gyroscope could be used to stabilise the skyscraper Taipei 101 instead of the tuned mass damper, I have figured out how to set up the gyroscope but I need to calculate radius, speed of rotation etc. To do this I need to find the equivalent moment exerted by the tuned mass damper but I am unsure on how to do this.

I thought about possibly finding the damping force from the damper and then simply multiplying by the length of the cable, but I can't seem to find an equation to calculate what this damping force is.

Basically I just want to know if this is the right approach to take, if it is then I would like to know the equation to calculate the damping force and if not then how would I go about calculating the equivalent moment.

Thank you

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?