How Do You Calculate the Energy Stored in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic energy density and energy stored in a superconducting solenoid with a magnetic field of 4.50T, inner diameter of 6.20cm, and length of 26.0cm. To find the energy density, the formula Ub= (B^2)/(2Uo) is used, resulting in a value of 8.1x10^6. This is correct, but the units should be included. To find the energy stored in the field, the length and diameter are needed to calculate B, and then multiplied by the volume of the solenoid. Remember to always include units in calculations.
abot
the problem reads... the magnetic field inside a superconducting solenoid is 4.50T. the solenoid has an inner diammeter of 6.20cm and length 26.0cm.
Determine (a) the magnetic energy density in the field. (b) he enrgy stored in the magnetic field with in the solenoid.

For (a) i use the formula Ub= (B^2)/(2Uo) and i get 8.1x10^6
Is this correct?

For (b) I am not quite sure what to do. I know i must use the length and diameter to find B. or maybe not

I need some guidance.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
abot said:
For (a) i use the formula Ub= (B^2)/(2Uo) and i get 8.1x10^6
Is this correct?
Yes. (Check your arithmetic.)

For (b) I am not quite sure what to do. I know i must use the length and diameter to find B. or maybe not
Hint: The energy density that you found in (a) is the energy per unit volume.

If you had written the units for your first part, the second part would become obvious. Never leave out the units; they are essential.

1. What is the relationship between energy and a magnetic field?

The energy in a magnetic field is a form of potential energy that is stored within the magnetic field. This energy is related to the strength and orientation of the magnetic field, as well as the properties of the objects within the field.

2. How is energy transferred in a magnetic field?

The transfer of energy in a magnetic field is known as electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a magnetic field and a conductor are in relative motion, causing a change in the magnetic flux and the generation of an electric current.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed in a magnetic field?

No, energy cannot be created or destroyed in a magnetic field. It can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. The total energy within a closed system will always remain constant.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy in a magnetic field?

The amount of energy in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the objects within the field, and the properties of the objects themselves (such as their magnetic permeability).

5. How is energy stored in a magnetic field used in everyday life?

Energy stored in a magnetic field is used in various everyday devices, such as electric motors and generators. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity, in MRI machines for medical imaging, and in speakers and headphones for sound production.