Gravity-Defying Bicycle Stunt: How Far is Too Far?

• Thread starter MrSpudmuffin1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bicycle
In summary, if you are riding a bike and reach out to grab a bar over your head, you would experience a 5g force.
MrSpudmuffin1
If you were riding a bike and then reached out to grab a bar over your head,
Picture the following senerio... a 50 lb kid is riding a bicycle as fast as he can toward a cloths line. Just at the moment he travels under the bar, he reaches up and grabs the bar and let's the bike go flying off. His hope is to make a complete arch around the bar in the same way a gymnast does when flipping around the bar. The question is, how fast would he have to go to have that amount of momentum to get around the bar and what would the g forces be, so he would know how strong his grip would have to be? If anyone knows how to calculate this could they show how it is calculated?

Thanks, ps not that I'm planning on trying this, I just did try it as a kid and found out it was impossible, but was curious just HOW impossible it really was.

Physics news on Phys.org

It's only impossible if you are weak/fat.

This is an easy problem, in order to do a complete arch you have to have enough energy for your CG to get over the top of the bar, minus the friction losses through your hands.

Give it a try, set up some mats on the floor though. Hint: Curl up into a ball soon after you grab the bar and "pull" on the bar with your arms to get closer to it. You'll make it all the way around, just don't lose grip.

You can reduce this to the simplest model in which your mass is in one place and you replace your arms by a piece of rope (i.e. you are a pendulum with a rigid strut). Now assume that you are cycling fast enough to take your centre of mass to the same height above as you were below the bar.
The sums tell you that, if you have enough speed when you launch yourself at the bar, the g force ( or weight force on your arms), irrespective of the length of your arms (believe me- the sums are very easy) will correspond to 5g (including the g that you started with).
With techniques such as the one suggested above you could reduct this value quite a bit but it does show that you could potentially be trying to do the impossible - as you suggest. Not many people could hold five times their dead weight by hanging on with their hands.
Gymnasts who do this are all very muscular, fairly light and have done a lot of practice.

Thanks for your suggestions. It does seem pretty hard though to convert the forward force into a rotational momentum around the bar. But I love the idea of curling the body up at the point of impact, that makes great sense.

Thanks for your reply Sophiecentuar,

How would you set up the equation to calculate this?

thanks again.

Potential Energy at the top has to equal the kinetic energy at the bottom (energy is conserved).

KE = PE
Half m vsquared = m g h

Cancel the m's
then v = Sqrt(gh)

This is reducing it to the very simplest model. By shortening your arms on the way up, you reduce the height you need to reach so you could go slower than this. etc. etc.

thanks again Sophicentaur,

So this equation has
m = mass
h = length of my arm to the center of gravity
v = velocity I would have to ride to get over the bar

Is g = to g force? Is the g going to be 5? I didn't understand the g force as 5 as you mentioned in your first response.

so if I used real #s would this look like this:

velocity needed to get over the bar = the square root of 5(76.2cm length of arm) = 19.52 (what are the units on this answer?)

Is this any where near correct?

Thanks sophiecentaur.

First, I left out the factor of 1/2 in my rearranging the equation. Sorry- left that as an exercise got the student!
g is 9.81in SI
UNITS.
My 5g is the acceleration that you will experience as you start your curved path when you first grab the bar. (as in 'pulling 5g')
Btw h is the total height you reach at the top of your swing. That will be twice the length of the string. Only related to your arm length if your c.m. is at your shoulders! I said this is for the simplest model of a mass on a string. The lengths etc need modifying for a real body on bike. But it does give you an idea of what happens.

Last edited:

1. How does gravity affect the bicycle stunt?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In the case of a bicycle stunt, gravity affects the trajectory and speed of the bicycle. The higher the height of the stunt, the longer the distance the bicycle will travel before being pulled back to the ground by gravity.

2. What factors determine how far a bicycle can go in a gravity-defying stunt?

The distance a bicycle can go in a gravity-defying stunt is determined by several factors, including the rider's speed, the angle and height of the ramp, and the rider's body position. The speed and angle of the ramp will determine the initial velocity of the bicycle, while the rider's body position can affect the air resistance and balance of the bicycle.

3. Is there a limit to how far a bicycle can travel in a gravity-defying stunt?

Yes, there is a limit to how far a bicycle can travel in a gravity-defying stunt. This limit is determined by the initial velocity of the bicycle, the angle and height of the ramp, and the strength of gravity. Once the bicycle reaches its maximum height, it will start to descend due to the pull of gravity.

4. How can a rider safely perform a gravity-defying bicycle stunt?

To safely perform a gravity-defying bicycle stunt, the rider must carefully calculate the speed, angle, and height of the ramp to ensure that the bicycle can reach the desired distance without compromising the rider's safety. The rider should also wear appropriate safety gear, such as a helmet and pads, and practice the stunt in a controlled environment before attempting it in a public setting.

5. What are the potential risks of performing a gravity-defying bicycle stunt?

The potential risks of performing a gravity-defying bicycle stunt include injury to the rider due to loss of balance or collision with the ground or obstacles. There is also a risk of damage to the bicycle or other equipment used for the stunt. It is important for riders to approach these stunts with caution and take proper safety precautions to minimize these risks.