Three vectors a, b and c are such that a = i + 3j, b = 2i + j and c = i + 13j. Find
(i) the vector which is parallel to a + b and of magnitude 20 units.
(ii) the value of p and of q for which pa + qb = c
I need help in both parts.
Related Introductory Physics Homework News on Phys.org
what is the magnitude of a + b?
you need a vector of maginutude 20, in the same direction of a + b.
the scale of your magnitudes should be the same as the scale of your components. (check it for yourself - can you see it's just similar triangles?)
look out for this nice 3,4,5 triangle; they can simplify calculations if you spot them.
i.e where two sides are of length 3 and 4 units, while the hypotenuse is 5 units. that is, if you have a triangle with two of the sides being any two of these numbers, you know immediately the other side must be the missing number.
5,12,13 is another one to look out for. a bit trickier to spot.
These pop up frequently!
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving