1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do You Choose ...

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1
    what major to pursue?

I am leaning towards CS or physics. Most of the professors tell me a masters' or higher degree is really needed for physics. However, with a CS degree, job prospects are fairly good with just a B.S.

Both are exciting, because they deal with the type of problem solving that is engaging to me.

How did you decide what major to go with?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2
    It depends on what you like. I had to choose between electrical engineering, math, and physics. I was under the impression that electrical engineering was the most immediately employable one, and that it still has a sufficient amount of math and physics in it. Fortunately, it turns out I enjoy some fields of electrical engineering quite a bit (though others, not so much), so I plan on going into those fields.

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3
    I couldn't, so I did both. I would say unless you're planning on physics as a career, the best types of jobs (in terms of stress, income, etc) you could get with a physics bachelor's would be the same ones you would get much more easily with a CS degree. But if you really can't decide, you could always look into a double major...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook