How do you cure summer depression?

• Thread starter laminatedevildoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depression
In summary: Alzheimer's. In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's feelings of exhaustion and possible depression due to overworking and not eating properly. They also mention potential solutions such as caffeine pills and medication, but advise against self-diagnosing and recommend seeking professional help. The conversation also touches on the seriousness of suicide and the importance of taking care of one's mental health through counseling and a well-balanced diet.
laminatedevildoll
How do you cure it??

Maybe I am overworking myself, but I feel sort of drained out. I go to school at 7:00 AM and return home at 10:00 PM after summer school and research. I mean, I enjoy research, but I cannot help but feel tired during the day because I haven't eaten a proper meal all day. Actually, I eat breakfast so that's not a good excuse.

Anyway, today, I think I pretty much bombed my C.S lab final because I ran out of time; and therefore, I think I might get a B in the class (very depressing), but I still have yet to take the lecture final. At times I feel cold, and I feel like passing out.

My question:
Do caffeine pills work? How do I increase my energy level and get rid of my summer depression? One of my friends used to take them in high school, and I thought it was kind of risky; but now I am having second thoughts.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cures from depression: mdma, ketamine, Zoloft; exposure to moderate amount of sun, sleep, and walking/working out; getting laid; suicide

Lack of sleep could very well be your problem, or part of it: you seem to have given yourself only 9 hours at home, and I somewhat doubt you manage to spend 8 of those sound asleep. (Eep, I hope you aren't one of those people who need more than 8 hours of sleep a night!)

cronxeh said:
Cures from depression: mdma, ketamine, Zoloft; exposure to moderate amount of sun, sleep, and walking/working out; getting laid; suicide

getting laid - i hope it doesn't matter if it's with different people.

suicide - you know what, if i weren't alive, I wouldn't have to suffer.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Lack of sleep could very well be your problem, or part of it: you seem to have given yourself only 9 hours at home, and I somewhat doubt you manage to spend 8 of those sound asleep. (Eep, I hope you aren't one of those people who need more than 8 hours of sleep a night!)
Once I get home, I pretty much go to my room and crash (after watching ghosthunters of course).

if you do all these things (except suicide) in moderate amount, you'll kick your nasty depression :biggrin:

Of course, there's always that suicide option.. :rolleyes:

laminatedevildoll said:
How do you cure it??
It depends if its situational depression or clinical depression.
Maybe I am overworking myself, but I feel sort of drained out. I go to school at 7:00 AM and return home at 10:00 PM after summer school and research. I mean, I enjoy research, but I cannot help but feel tired during the day because I haven't eaten a proper meal all day. Actually, I eat breakfast so that's not a good excuse.
Being tired doesn't mean that you're clinically depressed and therefore its unwise to assume that you need an anti-depressant.

If you really think that you're experiencing clinical depression then see these
http://www.depression.com/depression_questionnaire.html
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/depression.cfm
Anyway, today, I think I pretty much bombed my C.S lab final because I ran out of time; and therefore, I think I might get a B in the class (very depressing), but I still have yet to take the lecture final. At times I feel cold, and I feel like passing out.
That sound like an anxiety attack. If you have an anxiety disorder then you'd need an anti-anxiety medication such as ativan, klonapin, Xanex, etc.
[qupte]
My question:
Do caffeine pills work? How do I increase my energy level and get rid of my summer depression? One of my friends used to take them in high school, and I thought it was kind of risky; but now I am having second thoughts.[/QUOTE]That's a terrible idea. If this is a concern of yours then don't try to pretend that you're a psycholgist or a psychiatrist. That too is dangerous. See a professional if you have a real concern. Believe me, I know of which I speak.

Folks, I have a personal request - Please don't joke about suicide. Its no joking matter. Due to an extreme bout of depression when I was being treated for Leukemia I attempted this and, thank God, failed. It as a nightmare I'll have to live with the rest of my life. Its nothing to joke about. When the actuall depression was treated I looked back on what I tried and though "What the f**** was I thinking!?"

Pete

Sure, refer to NIH website - they will direct you to the right 'medication' for your conditions. The pharma companies pocket on something that does little good for your condition, but still keeping you in the loop and refills.

pmb_phy said:
Folks, I have a personal request - Please don't joke about suicide. Its no joking matter. Due to an extreme bout of depression when I was being treated for Leukemia I attempted this and, thank God, failed. It as a nightmare I'll have to live with the rest of my life. Its nothing to joke about. When the actuall depression was treated I looked back on what I tried and though "What the f**** was I thinking!?"

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
laminatedevildoll said:
How do you cure it??
Medication may help, but with or without medication, counseling could or should be part of the treatment.

Besides some physiological issue with the brain, being overtired or stressed can bring on depression. In the winter time, reduced sunlight can bring on what is called - seasonal affective disorder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Low levels of some vitamins (e.g. B-complex) might also make one susceptible to depression (IMO). So make sure the diet is well balanced with vegetables and protein. IIRC, you are vegetarian, so make sure the you get the right balance of amino acids as well as B-vitamins. If the vegetarian diet is low in B-complex, try supplements or add brewer's yeast,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B

In addition to coexisting in the same foods, the B vitamins often work together to bolster metabolism, maintain healthy skin and muscle tone, enhance immune and nervous system function, and promote cell growth and division — including that of the red blood cells that help prevent anemia.

Together they also help combat the symptoms and causes of stress, depression, and cardiovascular disease.

All B vitamins are water soluble, and are dispersed throughout the body and must be replenished daily with any excess excreted in the urine.

Brewer's yeast is a good source of Vitamin B.

Make sure you get the right amount of sleep. Sleep deprivation and irregular sleep may contribute to depression.

Anyone who has been depressed long enough for it to seem like a problem should try Cognitive Therapy. It has worked for many people who have had no success with anti-depressents or other "talk" therapies.

The best, and easiest to find, (sold just about everywhere) book is called Feeling Good by David Burns, M.D.

The premise of the therapy is that most of our negative feelings are reactions to negatively phrased, "distorted" thoughts, that we have rattling around in our minds. Out of habit, we phrase things to ourselves in exaggerated ways, especially negative things, and our emotional response to the thoughts is appropriately negative. With enough of this, we can end up making ourselves feel constantly bad, even suicidal.

Cognitive Therapy teaches you how to hone in on and recognise distorted thoughts, and replace them, not with good thoughts, which would be equally unrealistic, but with realistic thoughts.

An example might be the thought "I am so incompetent! I always blow my History tests!"

A thought like that will cause a person's emotions to plunge into a descending spiral of ever more negative feelings, so long as they thinks it has any truth to it.

In fact, though, it is a gratuitously exaggerated assessment of the situation. The actual truth, for a given individual may be: "I am usually very competent in most academic subjects, generally getting above average scores. History is not my strongest subject, and sometimes (not always) I have only got a passing grade on a test."

When we distort the fact of a lack of an affinity for a certain subject to "incompetence", our emotions react needlessly, accordingly. In addition, when we exaggerate, say, two C's and three B's in History to "always" blowing History tests, we feel upset according to how we phrased it to ourselves, not according to the more minor disappointment of the reality.

Depressed people work on themselves with distorted thinking in every facet of their lives. Other examples include: Fortune telling; "I know I'm going to have a bad day!," Mind Reading; "I know that person is thinking bad things about me!," Disqualifying the positive; "He didn't mean that compliment. He was just being nice. I really suck.," Should Statements 'I should have studied longer for that test!"

He has a list of about ten of these common forms of distorted thinking, and the whole book goes into wonderful detail about what to do about them.

laminatedevildoll said:
How do you cure it??

You don't sound depressed; you sound overworked. Slow down a bit. Is there any particular reason that you are taking part in summer research and taking summer classes at the same time? Graduating a semester or even a year earlier is hardly worth it if you shorten your life by several years through bad sleeping and eating habits.

That's going to happen when you overextend yourself. Look at it this way. You've pushed yourself and found your limits. If, in the future, you wish to not get any Bs, you're going to have to cut down on how much work you do at anyone time.

Do caffeine pills work? How do I increase my energy level and get rid of my summer depression? One of my friends used to take them in high school, and I thought it was kind of risky; but now I am having second thoughts.

No, they don't work and they don't help. Sleeping and eating right helps. Having time for some amount of recreation and exercise helps.

laminatedevildoll said:
How do you cure it??

My question:

I think you should try to work less. Seriously you should be careful not to endengar your health. If it's possible try to take a nap btw 12PM to 1PM(even for 30 minutes), it cause you feel energetic again like morning.
Nothing in the world isn't worth as much as your health, when you wouldn't have it, you can't get anywhere.

Last edited:
laminatedevildoll said:
How do you cure it??

Maybe I am overworking myself, but I feel sort of drained out. I go to school at 7:00 AM and return home at 10:00 PM after summer school and research.

Get some time off. If I was going to school, doing research, whatever, from 7 AM to 10 PM every day, I know I'd be basically exhausted, even if I did something I liked.

Last edited:

1. What are the most common treatment options for depression?

The most common treatments for depression include therapy, medication, lifestyle changes, and support groups. Therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, is often recommended as the first line of treatment. Antidepressant medication may also be prescribed by a doctor. Making lifestyle changes, such as exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, and getting enough sleep, can also help manage symptoms of depression. Support groups can also provide emotional support and helpful coping strategies.

2. Is it possible to cure depression completely?

While it is possible for some individuals to fully recover from depression, it is not always the case. Depression is a complex mental health disorder and the severity and duration of symptoms can vary greatly from person to person. However, with proper treatment and support, many individuals with depression are able to manage their symptoms and live fulfilling lives.

3. How long does it take for treatment to be effective?

The effectiveness of treatment for depression can vary depending on the individual and the type of treatment being used. In general, therapy and medication can take several weeks or months to show significant improvement in symptoms. It is important to work closely with a healthcare provider to find the right treatment plan and to be patient in seeing results.

4. Are there alternative treatments for depression?

In addition to traditional therapy and medication, there are alternative treatments that some individuals have found helpful in managing their depression. These may include practices such as acupuncture, meditation, and herbal supplements. It is important to consult with a healthcare provider before trying any alternative treatments to ensure they are safe and will not interfere with other medications.

5. What can I do to support a loved one with depression?

If you have a loved one who is struggling with depression, it is important to offer support and understanding. Encourage them to seek professional help and offer to accompany them to appointments if needed. Listen to them without judgment and offer to help with daily tasks if they are feeling overwhelmed. Most importantly, remind them that they are not alone and that you care about their well-being.