How do you deal with people?

• Thread starter Monster92
  • Start date
In summary, the author describes how shyness can be cured by working at a hardware store and interacting with customers.
Monster92
I still feel shy in front of people. I feel odd saying this because I always associated shyness with children. Whenever talk to new people iI start to sweet and I sound different and I say things I would never say in my head. This has caused me problems at my new job in a store where I am interacting with customers and people.

Of course, I'm more relaxed when I'm with the people I really know. Although this group is small and consists of my family. Sometimes I get shy in front of them. I think that because I'm shy I say stupid things which in turn effects my confidence when speaking to people. I just hate dealing with people. What shall I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Monster92 said:
I still feel shy in front of people. I feel odd saying this because I always associated shyness with children. Whenever talk to new people iI start to sweet and I sound different and I say things I would never say in my head. This has caused me problems at my new job in a store where I am interacting with customers and people.

Of course, I'm more relaxed when I'm with the people I really know. Although this group is small and consists of my family. Sometimes I get shy in front of them. I think that because I'm shy I say stupid things which in turn effects my confidence when speaking to people. I just hate dealing with people. What shall I do?
I would try looking into Cognitive Therapy. A guy named David Burns has a book titled "Feeling Good" which is the easiest read on the subject. It is mainly aimed at depression but all of it would apply to extreme shyness as well.

Monster92 said:

I used to be very shy. The "cure" for my shyness, so to speak, was my first job... as a cashier at a hardware/grocery store. I discovered quickly that I could either quietly scan away, or talk to the customers about what they were buying. I decided to do the latter.

Examples: If corn was on sale that week, I'd talk about getting a 3-year old neighbor into thinking chucking corn was fun (so I didn't have to do it). If strawberries were on sale, I'd talk about how we used to pick them at a place where they would weigh you + the bucket when you came in and left. If someone was buying some odd-looking piece of hardware, I'd ask what it was. If someone was buying a huge brown bag of wood-screws, I'd ask what they were building.

Some people really liked this. (I also wore some tan suspenders that I'd embroidered with white flowers that many of the old guys, or their wives, liked.) Others probably didn't, and tried to avoid my line. I had at least one person come through twice on the week strawberries were on sale and say they already heard that story and to give them a new one. But I do know that at least one contractor came through on my last day (before I returned back to college) with a handful of screws just to say goodbye.

Now I teach up to 200+ student classes, and only sometimes get a few jitters on the first day, mainly because for those classes, the lecture hall is so HUGE and full. Then I just dive in and do it.

Be glad your present job is giving you the chance to perhaps build this skill... and after a little time, you perhaps won't sweat it anymore.

Also remember, shyness itself "bad," some people are perhaps too loud, obnoxious, and intrusive to others. Take heart also that some useful and fulfilling jobs don't involve interaction with others so much... Just don't let it impair you now (and the bosses haven't fired you or warned you yet, have they?).

Please realize that when you meet someone, the other person is just as shy as you and as scared of making an idiot out of themselves. Some people cover over their shyness by being the loud, pushy, obnoxious but that might not be the way to go. Others who are born that way, in which case do you really care what they think since they have an ingrained fatal flaw way more serious than shyness and will be that way all their life. If you know how to be polite, how to say please and thankyou, then you are just fine, as these are quallities I find enduring.

I understand that shyness is a natural part of human behavior and can manifest differently in individuals. It is important to recognize that shyness is not a weakness, but rather a personality trait that can be managed and overcome with practice and support. It is also important to remember that everyone experiences shyness at some point in their lives, and it is not limited to just children.

To deal with shyness in social situations, it may be helpful to practice and prepare beforehand. This could include rehearsing possible scenarios or conversations in your head, or even role-playing with a friend or family member. Additionally, deep breathing and positive self-talk can help to calm nerves and increase confidence.

In terms of interacting with customers and people at your job, it may be helpful to focus on the task at hand rather than your own shyness. This could involve focusing on providing excellent customer service or finding common ground with the person you are speaking with. It may also be beneficial to remind yourself that mistakes and saying "stupid" things are a natural part of learning and growing, and should not affect your overall confidence.

Lastly, seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist can also be helpful in managing shyness. They can provide encouragement and helpful tips, and can also serve as a source of comfort and understanding. Remember that dealing with people is a skill that can be developed and improved upon with practice and support.

1. How do you handle difficult people?

Dealing with difficult people can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. First, it's important to remain calm and not let their behavior affect you. Next, try to understand their perspective and communicate with them in a calm and respectful manner. It may also be helpful to set boundaries and assert your own needs. If all else fails, it's okay to remove yourself from the situation and seek support from a supervisor or colleague.

2. How do you build rapport with others?

Building rapport with others is essential for effective communication and collaboration. One key way to build rapport is by actively listening and showing genuine interest in what others have to say. Additionally, finding common ground and being open and approachable can help establish a positive relationship. It's also important to be authentic and honest in your interactions with others.

3. What do you do if someone is being disrespectful or rude?

If someone is being disrespectful or rude, it's important to address the behavior directly and calmly. Let them know how their behavior is impacting you and ask them to stop. If the behavior continues, it may be necessary to involve a supervisor or HR representative. It's important to maintain professionalism and not engage in disrespectful behavior yourself.

4. How do you handle conflicts with others?

Conflicts are inevitable when working with people, but there are ways to effectively manage them. First, it's important to address the issue early on and in a calm and respectful manner. Listen to the other person's perspective and try to find a compromise. If necessary, involve a mediator or third party to help facilitate the conversation. It's also important to communicate openly and honestly to prevent future conflicts.

5. How do you adapt to different personalities?

Adapting to different personalities is important for working effectively with a diverse group of people. One way to do this is by being open-minded and non-judgmental. Try to understand where others are coming from and adjust your communication style accordingly. It's also helpful to communicate openly and seek feedback to ensure effective communication and collaboration with others.