Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you deal with people

1. Oct 28, 2013 #1
    who think the big bang didn't happen
    who think evolution doesn't exist

Do you take the time to try and explain why they're wrong or do you just ignore / not associate yourself with these people?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2013 #2
    Give some points on why it exists, aiming for brevity then leave if they repeat their fallacious arguments on a sad loop aiming for validity.

4. Oct 28, 2013 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It really depends on the person and the context.

For example, if someone is legitimately looking to debate (I use that work loosely here) or exchange ideas I'll gladly engage them.

On the other hand I have no interest in walking into a church and telling people how to think.

5. Oct 28, 2013 #4

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Such people will always exist. There is still a group who believes the Earth is flat. What can you do?

We’re never going to all ascertain some absolute truth, and you will always have denialists when something is so far removed from daily “truths”. It’s a part of human existence.

6. Oct 28, 2013 #5
    they aren't often looking for a legit debate, and if they are they are sooo stubborn. but that's just in my experience.

7. Oct 28, 2013 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Don't wrestle with the misconceptions. Be a Ninja and deflect the odd stuff. Then steer the conversation to something that is not controversial. Don't engage in conversions, and good luck. :tongue2:

8. Oct 28, 2013 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Think to yourself, if someone has no understanding of biology or physics, what is the difference between you telling them evolution is real or a preacher telling them it isn't?

9. Oct 28, 2013 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The latter, except in the case of my relatives, with whom I just won't engage in such conversations because it's pointless.

10. Oct 28, 2013 #9

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

How about: people are entitled to think what they want to think and as long as they don't push their views on me I won't push my views on them nor judge them for such petty things.

11. Oct 28, 2013 #10

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

That's your definition of "entitled" (and mine too). However, there are people out there who believe that they are entitled to push their views on you as long it might save you from eternal damnation.

In the long run, your blood pressure will be lower and you'll spend less money on cardiologists if you go with "You can say whatever you want as long as I can think whatever I want". If you're right, you'll win eventually - Galileo had to mutter "Eppur si muove" under his breath, but today every schoolchild hears it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  12. Oct 28, 2013 #11

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I take a totally non-politically-correct view: If God exists, he/she/it created fools to give me something to laugh at. And if he/she/it doesn't exist, I'll laugh anyway.

13. Oct 28, 2013 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't believe in the big bang.
    But I do believe in evolution.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen explanations of why the big bang is real, but I'm a bit senile, and keep forgetting the answer.
    If the JWST shows me 1st gen stars, then I might believe in the big bang.
    ps. I love science.
    :smile:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  14. Oct 28, 2013 #13
    I hardly if ever run into these types of people, or at least if I do run into them then they don't mention it or make it apparent.

15. Oct 28, 2013 #14
    It's generally not a problem for me, but overt--and probably covert--creationism is less prevalent in Canada than in the States. I've only met one person who expressed ideas similar to the ones you're talking about, but even he was murky about them and was open to a real discussion. If, for example, I were to run into a really confrontational creationist, I would try to be as civil as possible. After all, there's no point in hurting a person's feelings. I'm not the Christopher Hitchens type.

EDIT: I hope this post isn't too "religious."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  16. Oct 28, 2013 #15
    This is still debated.

Waste your time trying to change or persuade these people. Usually I just tell them they are wrong, with evidence, and ignore everything else they say.

17. Oct 29, 2013 #16

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You see the problem with this? Somewhere there is an irreducible complexity guy saying the same thing.

18. Oct 29, 2013 #17

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If I may ask, how much of the Big Bang Theory do you not believe in?

19. Oct 29, 2013 #18
    When the ship starts sinking salvage what you can without drowning yourself.

20. Oct 29, 2013 #19
    Yes that is fine I accept peoples opinions, I just refuse to respect those opinions. If I saw someone in the street preaching or someone came to knock at my door then I don't really care what they think and can think what they want. But it's the people I care about that bothers me.

My sister for example has zero knowledge of biology and cosmology and she thinks the big bang didn't happen and that evolution is wrong. She is 27 by the way... She makes the typical mistake of saying "But look how complex we are, every life form has what it needs for it's enviroment!!!!!!" and I'm trying to explain to her about natural selection and evolution and she just won't have any of it.

I tried to explain to her that because she has not studied anything apart from weed sinse leaving high school, she is not really entitled to have an opinion about something like the origin of the universe or evolution.

If you're going to have an opinion about something, take the time to learn about that subject before telling someone something isn't true. It's literally like me telling you that relativity doesn't exist and you're going to respect my opinion? Don't be ridiculous, my opinion is not worth any respect as I don't know anything about relativity to have an opinion in the first place.

21. Oct 29, 2013 #20
    I used to be a shy boy, I didn't like getting to talk to people until I realized that didn't help me grow up or learn about me at all. It's turned out then that I don't guys sitting still in a meeting till I become the first one to start the conversation. I respect all of your ideas and I always want you to speak up to share what you have in mind. Decision making is hard as always but the final decision will qualify my understandings about the issue in question. Its severity would match particular types of consequences I.e rewards vs punishment. I would work on and beyond the call of duty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook