1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you deal with

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    times where your professors all dump a ridiculous amount of work on your all at once and you know you'll never be able to complete it all? I seriously have a test on monday, a test on wednesday, two take home tests due on wednesday (both of which are a bit too much work, imo), two lab reports to write, both due monday and some other stuff I can't remember. Seriously, with all of this work, I am going to go insane.

Do you think it would be reasonable to request an extension for one of the take homes, perhaps?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2

verty

Homework Helper

It sounds like it would be unreasonable not to.

4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    Seriously, this is the worst jam I have ever been in.

5. Nov 18, 2006 #4
    You can ask, but prepare to be told no. I think that if you work as if your prof already said no (all through the night if you have to) and then ask on monday, you'd be the safest. If you relax a bit this weekend and then your prof says no, you're in deep crap. I would guess that your prof will let you off the hook, but I wouldn't stop working/studying at all this weekend if I were you. :P

6. Nov 18, 2006 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good luck with the extension if you choose to ask.

7. Nov 18, 2006 #6
    try to get as much as you can done before requesting it though

8. Nov 19, 2006 #7
    I've been in similar situations before and sometimes you just have to sacrifice a grade in one area to make sure you save a more important grade.

If your classes are like mine usually are, the labs make up 10% to 30% of your final grade in the class. Most TA's will accept a late lab report and deduct some points, 30% to 50%. If you have 5 labs for a class, you really aren’t risking too much by losing a few points on the labs. Compare that to a test which is usually 30% to 50% of your final grade.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?