Understanding Wave Speed: Definitions and Concepts in Unidirectional Wave Motion

In summary, the speed of a wave is determined by the tension and elastic modulus of the string. There is no general definition for wave speed, but it can refer to the velocity at which a plane wave propagates, the phase velocity, or the group velocity. These speeds can vary depending on the properties of the medium.
pardesi
say for example there is a pulse through a string .then what exactly is wave speed or for that matter in case of unidirectional wave motion

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you rephrase the question...I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking what determines the speed of a wave? If so, the answer is the tension and elastic modulus of the string.

how do u define wave speed

What's wrong with [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex]?

Zz.

i want to have the definition well the espression is well one perhaps a physical interpretation will do

Well, you get a wave, and look at how fast the peaks and troughs are moving.

pardesi said:
i want to have the definition well the espression is well one perhaps a physical interpretation will do

Could you say that again and maybe, this time, include a few punctuations?

Zz.

Sorry i didn't realize that how difficult is it to read that line without punctuation.
Could u please define Wave speed in general mathematically

There is no general definition for the speed of a "wave" if you by "wave" also mean pulses etc.

*The velocity at which a plane wave would propagate through a medium [tex]c[/tex] this is a constant which depends on properties of the medium (e.g. the speed of light or the speed of sound)

*Phase velocity, [tex]v_p=\omega/\beta[/tex], is the speed at which a constant phase point (i.e. a maximum) travels. [tex]\beta[/tex] is the propagation constant.

*Group velocity [tex]v_g=(d\beta/dt)^{-1}[/tex], is the speed at which a signal (such as a pulse) propagates thorugh a medium. This is only a meaninfull concept for signals with a narrow bandwidth or in media with low dispersion.

Note that you can have [tex] v_p>c[/tex].

1. What is wave speed?

Wave speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium. It is measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is wave speed calculated?

Wave speed can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the wave by the period of the wave. It can also be calculated by multiplying the frequency of the wave by its wavelength.

3. What factors affect wave speed?

The factors that affect wave speed include the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as density and elasticity, as well as the frequency and wavelength of the wave.

4. How is wave speed related to frequency and wavelength?

Wave speed is directly proportional to frequency and inversely proportional to wavelength. This means that as frequency increases, wave speed also increases, and as wavelength increases, wave speed decreases.

5. Can wave speed change?

Yes, wave speed can change as it travels through different mediums. For example, sound waves travel faster in solids compared to liquids and gases. Additionally, changes in temperature and pressure can also affect wave speed.