1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you define wave speed

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    say for example there is a pulse through a string .then what exactly is wave speed or for that matter in case of unidirectional wave motion

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Could you rephrase the question....I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking what determines the speed of a wave? If so, the answer is the tension and elastic modulus of the string.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    how do u define wave speed

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What's wrong with [itex]v=f\lambda[/itex]?

Zz.

6. Sep 27, 2007 #5
    i want to have the definition well the espression is well one perhaps a physical interpretation will do

7. Sep 27, 2007 #6
    Well, you get a wave, and look at how fast the peaks and troughs are moving.

8. Sep 27, 2007 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Could you say that again and maybe, this time, include a few punctuations?

Zz.

9. Sep 27, 2007 #8
    Sorry i didn't realize that how difficult is it to read that line without punctuation.
    Could u please define Wave speed in general mathematically

10. Sep 27, 2007 #9

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no general definition for the speed of a "wave" if you by "wave" also mean pulses etc.

*The velocity at which a plane wave would propagate through a medium [tex]c[/tex] this is a constant which depends on properties of the medium (e.g. the speed of light or the speed of sound)

*Phase velocity, [tex]v_p=\omega/\beta[/tex], is the speed at which a constant phase point (i.e. a maximum) travels. [tex]\beta[/tex] is the propagation constant.

*Group velocity [tex]v_g=(d\beta/dt)^{-1}[/tex], is the speed at which a signal (such as a pulse) propagates thorugh a medium. This is only a meaninfull concept for signals with a narrow bandwidth or in media with low dispersion.

Note that you can have [tex] v_p>c[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook