1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximums and minimums?

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So my book has a bunch of examples of graphs similar to sine or cosine graphs, where the maximums and minimums are the same (for example, the maximums might be 1, and the minimums will be -1).

If I only have a graph to work with, I will just look at the waves and determine the period from that. But how do I determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximum and minimums? For example, all the maximums may be 7, but all the minimums will be 2. How do I determine the period of a graph like this, if I only have the graph to work with? Do I just move the graph so that its center is at the x axis? Is there anyway to determine the period of a graph like this without using graphing software to reposition the graph to the x axis? If I have to redraw it it could be difficult.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: How do you determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximums and minimums

What is the definition of the period of a periodic function?

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    Re: How do you determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximums and minimums

Oh god that's embarrassing.. Lol

Sorry, I just checked my work today and can't believe that I asked this question.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook