1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you do this? Probability

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1
    A computer prints out three digits chosen at random from 0 to 9 inclusive. Find the probability that:

a) all three digits are different

b) the third digit differs from the first two digits

For (a) I went [tex]1/_9C_3 = 1/84[/tex]. I think it's wrong but I didn't know what else to try.

And for (b) I don't even know where to start. :eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

In both of these there are 10^3=1000 possibilities so
    probability=(# of possibilities that meat criteria)/1000
    A) try nPr since order matters.
    2) given the two numbers they are written AAB figure how many pairs of numbers are possible.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  4. Jul 9, 2005 #3
    The reason that your first answer is wrong that you havent used correctly the definition of probability : it is favourable cases/total possible cases:

For the first one:

Total possible numbers are 10 and not 9 , count them down if you have any confusion.
    Total number of favourable cases are [itex]10 P_3[/itex] and total possible cases are [itex]10^3[/itex].Divide them to get the answer.

For the second one:

Hint: You can fill first two places in anyway you want , that is 10^2 ways , and then the last one in 9 or 8 ways .Add both cases to get the required probability and divide them by / 10^3.

BJ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?