How do you do this? Probability

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of selecting three different digits from 0 to 9 inclusive is 1/84, and the probability of selecting a third digit that is different from the first two digits is (10^2 + 8)/1000.
ms. confused
A computer prints out three digits chosen at random from 0 to 9 inclusive. Find the probability that:

a) all three digits are different

b) the third digit differs from the first two digits

For (a) I went [tex]1/_9C_3 = 1/84[/tex]. I think it's wrong but I didn't know what else to try.

And for (b) I don't even know where to start. :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
ms. confused said:
A computer prints out three digits chosen at random from 0 to 9 inclusive. Find the probability that:

a) all three digits are different

b) the third digit differs from the first two digits

For (a) I went [tex]1/_9C_3 = 1/84[/tex]. I think it's wrong but I didn't know what else to try.

And for (b) I don't even know where to start. :eek:
In both of these there are 10^3=1000 possibilities so
probability=(# of possibilities that meat criteria)/1000
A) try nPr since order matters.
2) given the two numbers they are written AAB figure how many pairs of numbers are possible.

Last edited:
The reason that your first answer is wrong that you haven't used correctly the definition of probability : it is favourable cases/total possible cases:

For the first one:

Total possible numbers are 10 and not 9 , count them down if you have any confusion.
Total number of favourable cases are [itex]10 P_3[/itex] and total possible cases are [itex]10^3[/itex].Divide them to get the answer.

For the second one:

Hint: You can fill first two places in anyway you want , that is 10^2 ways , and then the last one in 9 or 8 ways .Add both cases to get the required probability and divide them by / 10^3.

BJ

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations and can vary from the theoretical probability.

4. What are independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's outcomes. The probability of one event occurring does not change based on the outcome of another event. Dependent events are events that do affect each other's outcomes. The probability of one event occurring is affected by the outcome of another event.

5. How do you use probability in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life scenarios, such as predicting the weather, making decisions in gambling, and assessing risk in insurance. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions in fields such as economics, psychology, and biology.