How Do You Eat Corn On the Cob?

• Thread starter Illuminerdi
  • Start date
In summary, the participants in this conversation discuss their methods for eating corn on the cob. Some eat in a spiral, others eat in rows, and some have unique methods such as using a knife and spoon. They also mention their preferences for different approaches to programming, with some being more analytical and others being more instinctive. Overall, the conversation is a lighthearted exploration of personal habits and preferences.
Physics news on Phys.org
After I clear a path of width 4 kernels, I then topple each row of kernels with my bottom teeth so that they snap off. The result is a very clean cob and I get the max nutrition. Even though it grows vertically, I eat it horizontally.

In other words, Jimmy is a robot.

I eat my corn in a spiral (I would have termed it as vertical, but I can roll with spiral), and indeed, I have a tough time with object-oriented development, which would place me in the analyst group, thus corroborating the author's hypothesis.

We need a poll for this thread! :biggrin:

As for me, I also eat in a spiral .

rootX said:
I also eat in a spiral .

And?

Are you an algebraist/object-orienteerist, or an analyst?

I eat in a row from left to right, then turn and eat the next rows from left to right. It's tidier, you have clean cut rows all along the length.

That is also how my cats ate corn.

Evo said:
That is also how my cats ate corn.
Really? My cat waits until the mice eat the corn, and then eats them. That's the same approach that I use, except I substitute cows for mice.

I eat corn in both manners - sometimes both ways on the same cob. I'm also pretty much on the fence between analysis and algebra. I like both topics a lot!

Danger said:
Really? My cat waits until the mice eat the corn, and then eats them. That's the same approach that I use, except I substitute cows for mice.

I use the same approach, except I substitute corn for cheeseburgers and cows for people.

Danger said:

You do cook the cows first, don't you? :wink:

I use the typewriter method myself, gobbling up three or four rows at a time.

jtbell said:
You do cook the cows first, don't you? :wink:
The only requirement is a chainsaw; fire is optional.

I chew neat geometric figures by biting out one kernel at a time. Circles are hardest.

I am also fascinated by this. I can identify myself as an algebraist and horizontal eater of corn. More particularly, I am an adherent of the object oriented approach to programming, and would further extend that to the more old fashioned term – I prefer the bottom up to the top down approach to programming. Algebraists \ OOPers \ bottom-upers \ horizontal corn eaters like to figure out and declare all the variables required, write the utility sub-routines necessary and only then write the module level code with all required elements at hand. Analysts \ functional orienters \ top-downers \ spiral corn eaters prefer the instinctive, brilliant approach, starting at the first line and declaring variables, writing subroutines as they encounter the need for them.

From this, for anyone who knows the story of the events of the Pocono Conference, I’d like to propose this hypothesis: Julian Schwinger ate his corn in rows, Richard Feynman ate his in spirals.

I will agree with Danger's cow method being my favorite, but if someone places an ear of corn in front of me it will be eaten in spirals.

DaveC426913 said:
I eat my corn in a spiral (I would have termed it as vertical, but I can roll with spiral), and indeed, I have a tough time with object-oriented development, which would place me in the analyst group, thus corroborating the author's hypothesis.
I need to pass out free corn at work. I suspect that more than a few of the programmers are eating in spirals. :tongue:

I cut the corn off of the cob with a knife and then eat it with a spoon. I can't stand getting food between my teeth. :grumpy:

Since this is usually the preferred method of a child, I should have a preference for multiplication tables and long division.

Edit: Borg, that link in your signature contains some absolutely hilarious material! Especially the "naming" section. :rofl:

Last edited:
i must be an algebra-ist because i can't handle high math.
And i always try what's worked before first.

And i eat corn in a horizontal nibble in cadence with music playing in my head - Arthur Fiedler's arrangement of "Typewriter"

Last edited by a moderator:
Dembadon said:
Edit: Borg, that link in your signature contains some absolutely hilarious material! Especially the "naming" section. :rofl:
Glad you liked it. Unfortunately, I've seen too many of those examples in real code. :rolleyes:

1. How do you properly hold a corn on the cob?

To eat corn on the cob, hold it at both ends with your hands. Make sure to keep a firm grip on the cob to prevent it from slipping.

2. Should I remove the husk before eating corn on the cob?

It is recommended to remove the husk before eating corn on the cob. This will make it easier to eat and also allows for any unwanted debris to be removed.

3. Is it necessary to cook corn on the cob before eating?

Yes, corn on the cob should be cooked before eating. This can be done by boiling, grilling, or roasting the corn. Cooking helps to soften the kernels and enhances the flavor.

4. How do you eat corn on the cob without getting kernels stuck in your teeth?

To prevent kernels from getting stuck in your teeth, you can use a toothpick or floss after eating. Another tip is to brush your teeth after eating to remove any remaining kernels.

5. Can you eat the whole corn on the cob?

Yes, you can eat the whole corn on the cob, including the kernels and the cob itself. However, some people prefer to only eat the kernels and discard the cob after eating.