Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you even like cats?

1. Dec 31, 2009 #1
    I was at a new year's party and the people who hosted it own a cat. Apparently, I'd been sitting on its chair and I got mewed off. How rude! Stupid creature. Question to you guys: How do you even like cats? They are such arrogant creatures. The look they give you seems to say "Listen human! I own you and play you like a puppet. Now where's my food?" . The only reason why I think anyone would like a cat is because they owned it as a kitten (Kittens ARE fun to play with) and therefore don't want to let go of it for sentimental reasons.

Dogs are far better!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2009 #2
    Re: Cats!!

Dogs are too much work. I can leave my cat at home for 3-4 days alone, can a dog do that?

4. Dec 31, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cats smell good. Dogs...not so much.

5. Dec 31, 2009 #4

ranger

Gold Member

Can't have as much fun with a cat in the park as you would with a dog. I mean a ball of string? Come on!

6. Dec 31, 2009 #5

People say cats are arrogant and prideful, but that doesn't really make sense. I doubt they care about their image.

7. Dec 31, 2009 #6

Cats are largely self sufficient. But they don't necessarily smell good. Sure dogs need baths from time to time, but a dog won't spray your clothes because he doesn't like your cologne. Also I've never had a dog poop on my pillow because the litter box needs cleaning.

8. Dec 31, 2009 #7

clean the box! serves you right!

9. Dec 31, 2009 #8

My point is that cats know what's important to you, and are willing to destroy it to get their way. Dogs tear up things because they taste good. I've never had a dog that could be vindictive like a cat.

10. Dec 31, 2009 #9

i can definitely agree to that point, when my cat is pissed it will start chewing on electrical cords while staring at me, lol. fyi I have protective sheaths on my cords :)

11. Dec 31, 2009 #10

Once you are finished hashing out which smells worse and causes the most damage you can ask me why I don't allow pets in my house.

12. Dec 31, 2009 #11

That's kinda biased. Dogs destroy things for innocent reasons, while cats destroy things out of spite?

13. Dec 31, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know who trained my dog because we rescued him from a shelter. Whoever it was should make their career in dog-training, though. Duke will not steal food or beg for food. In fact, unless you give him a treat personally or put food in his dish, he won't touch it. Before my wife found a suitable storage bin for his dry food, we left the opened bag on the floor in the kitchen right next to his food dish and he never touched it. I often have little dog-biscuit treats in my shirt pockets and take them out before putting a shirt in the laundry. I have left the treats on the low table next to my work-station, and they have stayed there for days at times. Duke has amazing self-discipline. Try that with a cat.

14. Dec 31, 2009 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pretty much - yes
    Dogs have owners, cats have staff

15. Dec 31, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

Sure you should not disturb that kitten cat! It’s part of her property [I don’t know but I got a feeling it’s a she :biggrin:] and you should respect it, wither you like it or not! A nice little mew is far more better than a growling dog I think, don’t you? You wouldn’t even dare to get near his place. Poor cats! Just because they’re beautiful and tiny doesn’t mean they should run and hide, so you can sit in their place :grumpy:

How could you nothttp://api.ning.com/files/2Q6Ls-KJgs5UYo6fR5d6Hzh35*BovQCy0SjA7omBH8fkH-YKvpEgjUgkfA2j6cU-D76OPbGqHB7bNhovSvlxSmgw7CmlilTX/animalcatcuteeyeskittenlook7993a4ca267c918801f4af229e1d7cc8_h52635A49B2.jpg" [Broken]!!

I totally disagree with you, unless they turn into something like http://www.daveyp.net/random/wootoff102208/zombie_cat.jpg" [Broken]! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Dec 31, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A dog will love any good master. A cat's love must be earned.

17. Dec 31, 2009 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try to do this with your dog. :biggrin:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/2340/sleevekitty2lk2.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Dec 31, 2009 #17

Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.::!!) I love em both.

19. Dec 31, 2009 #18

So you want something that has mindless devotion to you and has no sense of self worth?

:)

Just because we are animals that have better pattern recognition and finger to thumb opposition doesn't mean we are overlords of creation.

Unless you are a Christian, in which case -- oh.

exaggeration end/

20. Dec 31, 2009 #19

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

EXCERPTS FROM A DOG'S DIARY

Day number 180
    8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
    9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
    9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
    10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
    11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
    12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
    1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
    4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
    5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
    5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 181
    10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
    11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
    12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
    1:00 pm - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
    4:00 pm - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
    5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
    5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 182

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT'S DIARY

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair ... must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was...Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call "beer". More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...

21. Dec 31, 2009 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I concur completely. I want a relationship I can respect.

Dogs are mindless, willing slaves. What's to respect?

I cannot have any mammals in my house due to allergies. But I am pathologically incapable of staying away from cats in someone else's house, even at the expense of my health. Dogs just want to slobber on me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook