How do you feel about cheating in school?

In summary: She was convinced that if she got her degree, she could then go on to get a better job and help support her family.In summary, cheating in school is a terrible idea. Cheating in life is not necessarily as bad, but you're still compromising your own education and integrity.
Obviously no reasonable person approves of academic cheating, especially bold or devious, greedy cheating. What do you want be done? Stop all cheating? Punish cheaters?

Think of a way to give tests or quizes so that the students cannot cheat. Ideas?

Put individual different test items onto paper tickets and put into a baffled basket. Each student one by one, takes a ticket, not knowing what is on it until he pulls it from the basket. And then, the student responds and answers the test item as a live presentation. This take-a-ticket, student think, student respond as presentation, cycles through the class during testing period until sufficient. The method would work better in a small class than a large class. Much time, maybe, but not an opportunity for cheating.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not endorse cheating. I turned in some incomplete homework today despite having access to copy the material.

It would not have felt right if I did. It could get me into the habit of not finishing my work and relying copying the solutions. It is frustrating to have classmates who turn in copied work when I'm busting my butt.

As for the Kobayashi Maru, I side with the Captian.

Likes jmeps
symbolipoint said:
Professors who teach at universities and colleges can teach well if they want to. They should have no trouble understanding the meaning of and how to make a lesson plan, choose objectives, and design the lessons to reach those objectives, and to create good assessments. That is their job (some uncertainty here); that is why they are in a teaching position (which again has some uncertainty).
At research universities, teaching may be part of their job, but I'd guess some see it as a nuisance and don't put much effort into learning how to teach effectively. Even if they want to, the university/department may discourage them spending time on teaching in lieu of doing research.

Another problem is that some faculty see teaching as trivial. In their view, they covered the material and presented it in a clear and organized way, and if the students don't get it, it's because they lack the ability or just don't work hard enough. As long as a professor doesn't recognize that he or she is part of the problem, there's not likely to be much improvement.

symbolipoint said:
Think of a way to give tests or quizes so that the students cannot cheat. Ideas?
Put individual different test items onto paper tickets and put into a baffled basket. Each student one by one, takes a ticket, not knowing what is on it until he pulls it from the basket. And then, the student responds and answers the test item as a live presentation. This take-a-ticket, student think, student respond as presentation, cycles through the class during testing period until sufficient. The method would work better in a small class than a large class. Much time, maybe, but not an opportunity for cheating.
I think it's time constraint that will almost reduce or limit their chances to cheat. I used to take tests that my teacher allowed us to bring all materials into the test room to look up details while writing the answers in the answer sheet. There was no need for cheating of course but those without regular class attendance would fail. Even the hard-working ones could hardly complete all the answers correctly.
Copycatting can be prevented by randomizing the test items for the five students sitting next to each other (square block) to not be able to share the same (ordered) questions.

Getting As or A+ by cheating is really disgusting.

Last edited:
Likes Medicol
<h2>1. What are the consequences of cheating in school?</h2><p>Cheating in school can have serious consequences, both academically and personally. Academically, it can result in failing grades, expulsion, or even revocation of a degree. Personally, it can damage your reputation and integrity, and lead to feelings of guilt and shame.</p><h2>2. Why do students cheat in school?</h2><p>There are many reasons why students may choose to cheat in school. Some common reasons include pressure to succeed, lack of understanding or preparation, and the desire to maintain a high GPA. Additionally, some students may feel that cheating is the only way to keep up with their peers.</p><h2>3. How does cheating affect the learning environment?</h2><p>Cheating can have a negative impact on the learning environment in several ways. It can create a culture of dishonesty and undermine the value of hard work and academic integrity. It can also create an unfair advantage for those who cheat, and contribute to a competitive and stressful atmosphere.</p><h2>4. What can be done to prevent cheating in school?</h2><p>Preventing cheating in school requires a multi-faceted approach. Teachers can create a supportive and engaging learning environment, clearly communicate expectations and consequences for cheating, and use a variety of assessment methods to assess understanding. Schools can also implement honor codes and academic integrity policies to promote honesty and discourage cheating.</p><h2>5. How can students resist the temptation to cheat?</h2><p>Resisting the temptation to cheat can be challenging, but there are several strategies students can use. These include staying organized and on top of assignments, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and practicing good time management skills. It is also important for students to prioritize their own learning and personal integrity over the pressure to succeed at any cost.</p>

1. What are the consequences of cheating in school?

Cheating in school can have serious consequences, both academically and personally. Academically, it can result in failing grades, expulsion, or even revocation of a degree. Personally, it can damage your reputation and integrity, and lead to feelings of guilt and shame.

2. Why do students cheat in school?

There are many reasons why students may choose to cheat in school. Some common reasons include pressure to succeed, lack of understanding or preparation, and the desire to maintain a high GPA. Additionally, some students may feel that cheating is the only way to keep up with their peers.

3. How does cheating affect the learning environment?

Cheating can have a negative impact on the learning environment in several ways. It can create a culture of dishonesty and undermine the value of hard work and academic integrity. It can also create an unfair advantage for those who cheat, and contribute to a competitive and stressful atmosphere.

4. What can be done to prevent cheating in school?

Preventing cheating in school requires a multi-faceted approach. Teachers can create a supportive and engaging learning environment, clearly communicate expectations and consequences for cheating, and use a variety of assessment methods to assess understanding. Schools can also implement honor codes and academic integrity policies to promote honesty and discourage cheating.

5. How can students resist the temptation to cheat?

Resisting the temptation to cheat can be challenging, but there are several strategies students can use. These include staying organized and on top of assignments, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and practicing good time management skills. It is also important for students to prioritize their own learning and personal integrity over the pressure to succeed at any cost.