How do you find a critical value when using a 1% significance level

In summary, the data being worked with includes a sample mean of 128.25, a variance of 9/20, a sample size of 20, and a standard deviation of 3. The Z-score for the hypothesis test is -2.61 and the critical value for a 1% significance level is 128.44. To calculate the critical value, the formula z = (x - μ)/σ is used, where x is the sample mean, μ is the population mean, and σ is the standard deviation.
laura_a

Homework Statement

The data I'm working with is
Sample mean(voltage)=128.25
variance=9/20
sample size=20
SD=3
Z=-2.61

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of what I was doing was a hypothesis test that the true voltage is 130 compared to the alternative less than 130. Which I worked out the Z= -2.61

What I have to do now is calculate the critical value for this test using a 1% significance level.. I know the answer because I looked it up in the textbook its 128.44 but for the life of me I can't work out any formulas that will help me... can anyone shed some light? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The critical value for this test is 128.44. That's the value that determines whether the hypothesis can be rejected or not. To calculate the critical value, you need to use the z-score formula: z = (x - μ)/σ, where x is the sample mean (128.25), μ is the population mean (130) and σ is the standard deviation (3). Plugging in the values gives you a z-score of -2.61, which is the critical value.

1. How is a critical value determined for a 1% significance level?

The critical value for a 1% significance level is determined by looking up the value in a statistical table or by using a calculator. This value is based on the degrees of freedom and the desired level of significance.

2. What is the purpose of using a 1% significance level?

A 1% significance level is used to determine the likelihood of obtaining a result that is due to chance. It is a commonly used threshold for determining if a result is statistically significant or not.

3. How does using a 1% significance level affect the outcome of a hypothesis test?

Using a 1% significance level makes it more difficult to reject the null hypothesis. This means that the result must be even more extreme in order to be considered statistically significant.

4. Can a critical value be negative when using a 1% significance level?

No, critical values cannot be negative when using a 1% significance level. Critical values represent the points on a distribution that divide the area in the tails of the distribution that corresponds to the desired level of significance.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding a critical value for a 1% significance level?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using statistical software or online calculators to determine the critical value. These methods may be more efficient and accurate compared to using statistical tables.