1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find a normal of a direction vector in 3 space?

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1
    Question #1. How do you find a normal of a direction vector in 3 space?
    Question #2.:

What is the scalar equation of the plane that contains the x-axis and the point (4,-2,1)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no single normal to a vector in 3-space. There exist an entire plane normal to any vector and any vector in that plane is normal to the original plane.

If a plane includes the entire x-axis, then it also includes the vector from (0,0,0) to (1, 0, 0): i. Since this plane includes the point (4, -2, 1) as well as (0,0,0) it includes the vector 4i- 2j+ k and so the cross product of those two vectors is perpendicular to the plane: -j- 2k is perpendicular to the entire plane. If (x, y, z) is any point in the plane, then the vector from (0,0,0) to (x,y,z), xi+ yj+ zk, is perpendicular to that vector: (xi+ yj+ zk).(-j- 2k)= 0 or -y- z= 0. The desired plane is z= -y.

4. Mar 2, 2005 #3
    hallsofivy.....that is not the answer.......I think you are wrong.......can you please make it a bit more clear on the steps made to get the answer.

for my first question ok sorry maybe I worded it wrong....how do i find a normal plane of a direction vector in 3 space?

5. Mar 2, 2005 #4
    or maybe ur right .....thats the plane......but not the answer

I'm not sure how to find the normal.....(1,0,0)cross what? to get a normal.....then after that put the (x,y,z) values in the equation Ax+By+Cz+D=0
    Then find D by inserting the point (4,-2,1) and you've got the equation?

Is this process correct

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?