Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find isoclines?

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1

I can find many websites that show a slope field, an answer, and the isoclines but for the life of me I cannot figure out the relationship between slope fields and isoclines!!!

I need a nudge in the right direction please!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2007 #2
    When you have a system of ode's, your solution will be a parametrized curve in the plane (space), i.e. [itex]\{x(t),y(t)\}[/itex]. If you derivate such curve, you obtain a vector tangent to such curve given by [itex]T=\{\dot{x}(t),\dot{y}(t)\}[/itex], where the dot denotes derivations with respect to time. From your calc & geometry classes, you should remember that the slope of the tangent vector is given by (using the chain rule):

[tex]m=\frac{d y/dt}{dx/dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex].

And there you go. If you have a given system

[tex]\begin{array}{l} \dot{x}(t)=f(x,y,t) \\ \dot{y}(t)=g(x,y,t)\end{array}[/tex]

then the isoclines will be the curves where the slope

remains constant. Of particular importance are the nullclines ([itex]m=0[/itex] and [itex]m=\infty[/itex]). (why?)
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?