1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the domain just by looking at the equation?

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    How do you find the domain just by looking at the equation?

ex1) x^2/ x^4+4x-5
    2) t/√(t^2-5t+6)
    3) √[2-√(4-x)]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Take your last expression.
    What must you require of the argument of the (real) square root function?

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the first.What's the point in which the division (employed by the fraction) has no meaning...?

Daniel.

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4
    when x^4+4x-5=0

6. Feb 23, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

gillgill:
    LEARN TO WRITE MATHS PROPERLY!! :grumpy:
    For 1) Did you mean x^2/(x^4+4x-5), x^2/(x^4+4x)-5, x^2/x^4 +4x-5
    Do you understand what I'm talking about?

7. Feb 23, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming that your first function was x^2/ (x^4+4x-5) (do you see why I put in the parentheses?) then, yes, the denominator will be 0 when x^4+ 4x- 5= 0 and, since you cannot divide by 0, the domain is "all real numbers except solutions to x^4+ 4x- 5".

In problem 2, the quantity inside the square root cannot be negative or zero (since we are dividing by it).

In the last one, certainly we must have 4- x>= 0 (so x<= 4) in order to be able to do that square root but we must also have 2- sqrt(4-x)> 0. To determine what restriction that puts on x, look at 2- sqrt(4-x)= 0. That is the same as 2= sqrt(4-x) and, squaring, 4= 4-x which is the same as x= 0! If x< 0, then 4-x> 4,sqrt(4-x)> 2 and 2- sqrt(4-x)< 0. The domain is 0<= x<= 4.

8. Feb 23, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not the one with the 5 in the denominator,i hope,else he would have to solve that quartic...Actually a cubic,because "+1" is a sollution...

Daniel.

9. Feb 23, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In addition to HallsofIvy's suggestions, I would like to say that what they are asking you to find, is the MAXIMAL domain of the (real) functions over the real numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?