Solving the Stick of the Gods: Mass, Center of Mass & Moments of Inertia

In summary, the problem involves a stick with infinite length and an exponential mass density distribution. The goal is to find the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of the stick. The first step is to understand that x represents the distance along the stick and L is a fixed parameter. To find the mass, integration is used, with x as the variable and the limits of integration from 0 to infinity. The center of mass cannot simply be the length over two due to the non-uniform mass distribution, so an integral expression is used to find it. The moment of inertia can also be found using integrals and the definition of moment of inertia.
SiriusAboutAstronomy

Homework Statement

So the problem starts out like this
Stick of the Gods! You hold one end of a stick, but it has no other end. It simply extends into infinity. Its one-dimensional density distribution is given by:
λ=(λinitial)times(e^(-x/L))
λ is the density
The problem doesn't state what x is, and maybe that is what is tripping me up, I think it refers to the distance from one end of the stick.
L is the length of the stick.

A) what is the mass?
B) Where is the center of mass in terms of m and L?
C) What is the moment of inertia about the end you are holding in terms of m and L?
D) What is the moment of inertia about the center of mass in terms of m and L?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think if I could figure out A) then I could figure out the rest, I am just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I posted B-D so anyone could know more details about what the question is concerning in A.

So I know what in general λ=mass/length, so do I just end up with m=Ltimesλ? I feel like that is too simple.
I also know that m= the integral from (in this case) 0 to infinity of the density, but I am not sure how to integrate that because I don't know what I would be integrating with respect to, x? Is x the variable? And if I do do that, the I have an infinite value for the mass, but I am assuming that the problem wouldn't want me to find an infinite value, so I must be doing it wrong.
When I integrated, I got m=-L(λinitial)e^(-x/L).

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi and welcome to PF!

Note that L does not represent the length of the stick since the length is infinite. Just think of L as some parameter that has a fixed value.

Yes, x represents the distance out along the stick measured from the end of the stick.

Integration is the way to go and x is the variable. Why do yo say the integral will give an infinite answer? After integrating, did you substitute the limits of integration?

Okay, when I plugged in infinity, I forgot the negative sign so the output came out to be infinity instead of zero.
Now I am stuck on part b, wouldn't the center of mass for this type of object just be the length over two? But the problem asks for the answer in terms of m and L, and I thought the m's would cancel.
Xcenterofmass=(m*L/2)/m

ConradYoung said:
Now I am stuck on part b, wouldn't the center of mass for this type of object just be the length over two?

Remember, the length of this rod is infinite! :redface: The symbol "L" does not stand for the length. It's just a fixed quantity that has the dimensions of length.

For a rod where the mass is distributed uniformly, the center of mass would be at the midpoint of the rod. But here, the mass is not distributed uniformly (and the rod doesn't have a midpoint). Instead, the mass density falls off exponentially as you go out along the rod. You're going to have to set up an integral to find the center of mass based on the definition of center of mass.

I don't understand this conceptually, how it the rod's mass not distributed uniformly?

1/M∫xdm is the only equation I can find my book, and I don't know how to apply it.

I found on another website an equation that looks like this:

x(com)= (∫xδ dx)/(∫δdx)
where δ is the λ, when I plug everything in and the bounds, I come up with 1?

ConradYoung said:
I don't understand this conceptually, how it the rod's mass not distributed uniformly?

You are given that the mass density λ is a function of x: λ(x) = λoe^(-x/L). The meaning of "distributed uniformly" is that λ is a constant rather than a function of x. The stick you are dealing with has a mass density that decreases exponentially as x increases. The stick is most dense near the origin and gets less and less dense as you move out along the rod from the origin.
1/M∫xdm is the only equation I can find my book, and I don't know how to apply it.
The meaning of dm is that it represents the mass in an infinitesimal interval dx located at some position x along the stick. How would you mathematically express dm in terms of λ(x) and dx?

Oohhhhhh! Thank you!

So I should take the original density formula, take the derivative of that, and it will be equal to dm. Then plug that in and integrate by parts?

ConradYoung said:
So I should take the original density formula, take the derivative of that, and it will be equal to dm. Then plug that in and integrate by parts?
Take the derivative? Think about the definition of "linear mass density" λ. By definition of λ(x), the mass contained in an interval of the stick between x and x + dx is λ(x)dx. In other words, λ(x) is defined to be that function such that λ(x)dx represents the mass in an interval dx located at x. Thus, dm = λ(x)dx. No need to take a derivative of the density function. So, what integral do you get for the center of mass location after substituting dm = λ(x)dx?

ConradYoung said:

Homework Statement

So the problem starts out like this
Stick of the Gods! You hold one end of a stick, but it has no other end. It simply extends into infinity. Its one-dimensional density distribution is given by:
λ=(λinitial)times(e^(-x/L))
λ is the density
The problem doesn't state what x is, and maybe that is what is tripping me up, I think it refers to the distance from one end of the stick.
L is the length of the stick.

A) what is the mass?
B) Where is the center of mass in terms of m and L?
C) What is the moment of inertia about the end you are holding in terms of m and L?
D) What is the moment of inertia about the center of mass in terms of m and L?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think if I could figure out A) then I could figure out the rest, I am just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I posted B-D so anyone could know more details about what the question is concerning in A.

So I know what in general λ=mass/length, so do I just end up with m=Ltimesλ? I feel like that is too simple.
I also know that m= the integral from (in this case) 0 to infinity of the density, but I am not sure how to integrate that because I don't know what I would be integrating with respect to, x? Is x the variable? And if I do do that, the I have an infinite value for the mass, but I am assuming that the problem wouldn't want me to find an infinite value, so I must be doing it wrong.
When I integrated, I got m=-L(λinitial)e^(-x/L).

The stick is infinitely long, and x is the distance measured from the end of the stick that you are holding. λ is the mass per unit length at location x along the stick, and λinitial is the mass per unit length at x = 0. When you integrated, you forgot to include a constant of integration. In order to get the cumulative mass between x = 0 and arbitrary x, you need to apply the boundary condition m = 0 at x = 0. This will enable you to determine the value of the constant of integration.

1. What is the Stick of the Gods?

The Stick of the Gods is a hypothetical object used in physics to demonstrate principles of mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia. It is a long, thin rod with a uniform density and a point mass at each end.

2. What is the center of mass of the Stick of the Gods?

The center of mass of the Stick of the Gods is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated. For a uniform rod, the center of mass is located at the midpoint of the rod.

3. Why is it important to calculate the center of mass?

Calculating the center of mass is important because it allows us to predict how an object will behave when subjected to external forces. It also helps in understanding the stability and balance of an object.

4. What is moment of inertia and how is it related to the Stick of the Gods?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of each point on the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. In the case of the Stick of the Gods, the moment of inertia is affected by the location of the two point masses and their distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How can the Stick of the Gods be used to demonstrate these principles?

The Stick of the Gods can be used in experiments or calculations to demonstrate how changing the location of the point masses affects the center of mass and moment of inertia. It can also be used to demonstrate the concept of equilibrium, where the object remains balanced and stable when the forces acting on it are equal and opposite.