How do you get in the loop?

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
networking is as important if not more so than grades
I would say this is absolutely the biggest plus to any job search. Get out there and don't be affraid to meet people. You would be supprised how many opportunities come through networking. Even if you meet someone who can't help you that very moment, the world is very small. This is also why you never burn a bridge. I have had to walk over a few more than once.

Everyone wants someone with 5+ years experience. Unfortunately, I'm a type of person who wasn't born with experience. I can't get experience because I lack the 5+ years of experience necessary to start gaining experience.

So how do I get past this Catch-22 loop?
What's your degree in? What kind of jobs are you applying for? Where/company name?

Also what kinds of things did you focus on in undergrad? What do you want to work on?

And, how did I get my first job?
I was hired as a graduate assistant at a research lab in my campus' University Park. How did I get it? I had applied there 2 other times previously in my undergrad, and gotten no reply. The summer between junior and senior year, I told the Chancellor of my university that I wanted to work at that lab. He's on the board of directors. And I had previously worked for the chancellor. He got me an interview, and they loved me. After my grad assistantship was up in a year, they hired me as a supervisor in the pilot plant to run the plant and train new interns.

I know that not everyone has the same connections I did. But in college, I was an RA, in Student Government, Hall council for my dorm, I was on Campus Activities board, I was in my ASME chapter, I used to do other fundraising work for the vice chancellor of student affairs, and I was on an Athletics committee for the Chancellor. And in my free time, I did engineering homework 6 nights a week, and I was a math tutor for the university.

I worked my *** off building social skills, and learning how to work with people. Why? Because the 30 other guys in my ME class used to stutter, faint, "umm umm", and flop sweat every time we had to give an in-class presentation, or hell even eat dinner alone in the campus food court. I was determined not to be that socially inept.

How did I get into each of those above positions? I asked, I applied, I told people I wanted it. I got into fundraising with the VC my freshman year because I walked up to him one day when he was in my dorm and told him that I wanted to work with him as a student leader.

Last edited:
I think I'll apply to be a security guard, at least I can put on my resume that I'm 6'1", lat 240lbs. and run the 100m in 12 sec.

Has anyone here done something of this sort? Any advice?
12 seconds is slow in the 100 meters. :) Kidding, however, like everyone here has said, plenty of good advice given. You just only want to hear what you want to hear and ignore all the other good advice.