How do you get rid of the SIN() function to solve for x?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation x*sin(x/2) - 18/pi = 0 and finding the value of x using Newton's method of approximation. The individual is confused about how to handle the sine function and needs help solving it. They are advised to use a table of values to find an initial approximation, x0, and then use a graphing calculator or Excel to further refine the solution. The individual ultimately discovers they can use their calculator's "zero" function to find the solution. Additional information about the periodic nature of the function and alternative methods for finding the solution are also provided.
r3dxP
i have x*sin(x/2) - 18/pi =0
and i need to solve for x..
how in the heck can i get rid of that sin() function? very confused.. any help will be appreicated..!
btw.. i need the answer ASAP! thanks a lot guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use Newton's method of approximation ?

i guess you can, could u explain how i would do that? and give me the answer for x=? thanks

r3dxP said:
i guess you can, could u explain how i would do that? and give me the answer for x=? thanks
"[URL a good description[/URL] and an example of Newton's method of approximation.
You will have to find the initial starting point, x0 -- the firstapproximation -- yourself.

To do so, make up a table of x and f(x) values, where f(x) = x*sin(x/2) - 18/pi.
Use values of x like: pi, 2pi, 3pi, ... until you get a change in the sign of f(x). That means that the curve, f(x), has crossed the x-axis, and therefore has been, at some point, equal to zero between the two x-values that gave the change of sign.

Take half-way between the two x-values as your first approximation, x0. You can get a closer approximation to x0 if you are familiar with interpolation. But that might be a bit of overkill at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks alot. i just figured out that i can just graph it with ti83plus, then go2 calc and use the 'zero' function :) thanks for the help

Even though you have the solution from the TI, here are additional comments that might be useful. Since this function is periodic, it will cross y=0 many times (see thumbnail). Newton's method works extremely well and converges very quickly on the solution, provided the starting guess of the solution is sufficiently close. Another option is bi-section, which is computationally much simpler, but takes longer to converge to the solution. Either method can easily be done w/ Excel.

Attachments

• xsinhalfx.gif
    xsinhalfx.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 949
Last edited:

1. How does the SIN() function affect the solution for x?

The SIN() function is a mathematical function that calculates the sine of an angle. It is commonly used in trigonometry to solve for unknown sides or angles in a triangle. In solving for x, the SIN() function is used to find the value of x in terms of the sine of an angle.

2. Can the SIN() function be eliminated from the equation to solve for x?

Yes, the SIN() function can be eliminated from the equation to solve for x. This can be done by using inverse trigonometric functions such as SIN^-1 or arcsine. These functions will cancel out the SIN() function and allow for the direct calculation of x.

3. What are the steps to remove the SIN() function and solve for x?

The steps to remove the SIN() function and solve for x depend on the specific equation and situation. In general, the first step is to identify the location of the SIN() function and determine if it is possible to use inverse trigonometric functions to remove it. The next step is to apply the appropriate inverse function and simplify the equation to solve for x.

4. Are there any limitations to removing the SIN() function to solve for x?

Yes, there are limitations to removing the SIN() function to solve for x. In some cases, it may not be possible to use inverse trigonometric functions to eliminate the SIN() function. This may occur when the equation is complex or involves other trigonometric functions. In these cases, alternative methods may need to be used to solve for x.

5. Can the SIN() function ever be completely eliminated from a mathematical equation?

No, the SIN() function cannot be completely eliminated from a mathematical equation. It is a fundamental trigonometric function and is essential in many mathematical calculations. However, it can be simplified or removed through the use of inverse trigonometric functions or other techniques to solve for x.