Solving for distance: How do you get to v=d/t?

• Thread starter dag45hol
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of constant velocity using the function d=A*t+B, where d is distance, t is time, A is a constant and B is the initial position. The derivative of this function, d', is represented in Leibniz's notation as dd/dt. The formula v=s/t is not always true for non-constant velocity, but holds for constant velocity. The conversation also explains how to go from d'=v to the formula v=d/t.
dag45hol
Forgive the basic question but my Google Fu isn't strong enough in math.

I understand that for constant velocity the function of the distance relative to the time takes the form of: d=A*t+ B

Then of course the first derivative is the velocity: d'=v=A, which is a constant (expected since we started with a constant velocity).

Q1: how do you represent d' in Leibniz's notation?
Q2: how do you go from d' to the formula v=d/t?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, dag45hol! :smile:

dag45hol said:
Forgive the basic question but my Google Fu isn't strong enough in math.

I understand that for constant velocity the function of the distance relative to the time takes the form of: d=A*t+ B

Then of course the first derivative is the velocity: d'=v=A, which is a constant (expected since we started with a constant velocity).

Q1: how do you represent d' in Leibniz's notation?
Q2: how do you go from d' to the formula v=d/t?

Thanks

A1: The representation of d' in Leibniz's notation would be ##d' = \frac {dd} {dt}##.
Of course this looks a bit ambiguous, so the letter d for distance is usually avoided when using Leibniz's notation.
Typically one of the letters s or x is used.

A2: The formula v=d/t is not always true in your case.
It will only hold if the B in your equation is zero.
In practice B is often chosen to be zero, so the formula v=d/t does hold.

Last edited:
d= At+ B has a line as graph. For such a function, the derivative is a constant:
[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{(A(t+h)+ B)- (At+ B)}{h}= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{At+ Ah+ B- At- b}{h}[/tex]
[tex]= \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{Ah}{h}= A[/tex]

If, with d(t)= At+ B, d(0)= B is NOT 0, v is NOT just "d/t". The average velocity, between t0 and t1, would be
[tex]\frac{d(t_1)- d(t_0)}{(t_1- t_0}= \frac{(At_1+ B)- (At_0+ B)}{t_1- t-0}= \frac{A(t_1- t_0)}{t_1- t_0}= A[/tex]

As for Liebniz's notation, it would be dd/dt with the understanding, of course, that the second "d" is the distance function. There is no deep mathematics there but the possibility of confusion is one reason why it is more common to use "s" to represent the distance function.

Lets replace d(istance) with s for clarity.

I get how ds/dt=v and how it comes to be a constant (A). What I don't get is how ds/dt=v=s/t

I get the feeling that this is obvious to you guys so please have patience.Thanks

The thing you have to remember is that v=s/t is not always true. v is not always simply the quotient of distance and time. However, for constant velocity, the above equation holds. With non-constant velocity, it's better to use v=ds/dt.

I understand that v=s/t is only good when v is a constant and that B must be zero for the function to hold.

The question is how do you go from v=ds/dt to the formula v=s/t?

Once again it seems that the answer is so obvious to you guys that you think I'm asking about other things.

ds/dt=v => fine
v=s/t => why? how do you go from ds/dt to s/t?

You already had d'=A=v.

So your formula d=A*t+B, can also be written as d=v*t+B.
This can be manipulated into:

d=v*t+B
d-B=v*t
(d-B)/t=v
v=(d-B)/t

With B is 0, this becomes v=d/t.

Thanks, I knew it had to be something obvious =)

1. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. This formula is represented as v=d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. What is the unit of measurement for velocity?

The unit of measurement for velocity depends on the units used for distance and time. For example, if distance is measured in meters and time is measured in seconds, then the unit for velocity would be meters per second (m/s).

3. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative as it indicates the direction of the movement. A negative velocity means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

4. How does acceleration affect velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It can either increase or decrease the velocity of an object. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, then the velocity will increase. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, then the velocity will decrease.

5. What are some real-life examples of using v=d/t?

One example of using v=d/t is calculating the speed of a car on a road trip. The distance traveled is the total distance of the trip, and the time taken is the total time spent on the trip. Another example is calculating the speed of a runner during a race. The distance is the length of the race and the time is the time taken to complete the race.