Where do you get your daily news?

• Thread starter Mephisto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary: NPR (ATC, ME, "To the Point," and DR when I can)I don't have cable, so I mainly listen to NPR. When I do watch TV, it's usually PBS or the History Channel.NYT (online)I read the NYT online, and occasionally pick up an issue of the paper if it's on sale.WSJ (to balance out the NYT)I read the WSJ online. I used to read the print version, but it's become too expensive to keep up with. America's Number one trust and unbiased new source, FOX.I mostly watch Fox News. It's the only news channel that I trust.
Mephisto
How, or where, are you getting your daily news?

Physics news on Phys.org
cnn, foxnews, slashdot

radio station (specifically Studio Brussels)

robphy said:
cnn, foxnews, slashdot

Same for me, but recently I have found foxnews too venomous to be pleasant, and I have found the quality of slashdot to go way down. My favorite news items to watch are the Obama puff pieces, haha, maybe I wish this onion article was real:http://www.theonion.com/content/news/time_publishes_definitive_obama

Various internet forums (such as this place) and I'll watch some MSNBC every other day or something.

I just find that the internet has news faster than TV. I can learn about something hours in advance. Then when my parents are watching the news and say "Hey WarPhalange, did you hear that--" I can but in and just say "Yup."

Google news, cnet, and NY1.

The issues of Time magazine at my dentist's office. Have we landed on the moon yet?

jimmysnyder said:
The issues of Time magazine at my dentist's office. Have we landed on the moon yet?

I'll bet you five dollars that man will land on the Moon before the Mets win the pennant.

jimmysnyder said:
Wow, your dentist has Time? I'm still reading about the upcoming wedding between Lady Diana Spencer and Prince Charles in People magazine.

I get mine at Digg, Slashdot, and most recently I discovered a pretty awesome physics/technology website http://www.physorg.com/

In order of quantity of input:
NPR (ATC, ME, "To the Point," and DR when I can)
NYT (online)
WSJ (to balance out the NYT)

America's Number one trust and unbiased new source, FOX.

Mostly Google News (which is really links to other sites...so usually it's a lot of AP and Reuters stories). I watch a little CNN, but that's often redundant with what I read online. I turn on the local TV news in the morning while trying to pry my eyes open, so it's mostly listening just in case I need to know about a crazed mass murderer on the loose (not too many local stories of interest).

Oh, and the Colbert Report. :biggrin:

Glad to see not many people on the forum watch Fox news. If it were the opposite this forum would lose cool points (well, Fox wouldn't be so bad if they just came out and called themselves 'Republican News').

I try not to watch the news - too depressing. Sciam is a fun read, though.

Cyrus said:
America's Number one trust and unbiased new source, FOX.
I saw you grin! No one can say that with a straight face.

Daniel Y. said:
Glad to see not many people on the forum watch Fox news. If it were the opposite this forum would lose cool points (well, Fox wouldn't be so bad if they just came out and called themselves 'Republican News').

That's an insult to decent Republicans everywhere.

I cut myself of from news 2 nearly 3 years ago, i have no tv and no longer read news papers, some times i hear snippets on the radio but they go in one ear and out the other.

Moonbear said:
Mostly Google News (which is really links to other sites...so usually it's a lot of AP and Reuters stories). I watch a little CNN, but that's often redundant with what I read online. I turn on the local TV news in the morning while trying to pry my eyes open, so it's mostly listening just in case I need to know about a crazed mass murderer on the loose (not too many local stories of interest).

Oh, and the Colbert Report. :biggrin:

It is surprising how much news you actually DO get from Colbert. I watch him on Hulu.com, one day late.

wolram said:
I cut myself of from news 2 nearly 3 years ago, i have no tv and no longer read news papers, some times i hear snippets on the radio but they go in one ear and out the other.

No TV! Me neither. I can not abide anything more than a 15 second commercial break. About once every two months I'll browse someone else's SAT TV or cable just to realize that it's mostly a big waste. IF there is anything worth watching, It'll be streaming tomorrow, or on DVD soon enough, without commercials (that's a 30% increase in life for you).

If we can convince just ONE MORE PERSON to kill their TV, to cut their cable, then...

we really wouldn't make that much difference, would we?

I usually just watch MSNBC and read a few articles from just about any news site on occasion (since they are oftentimes all the same article, just reposted from elsewhere such as the AP, Reuters, etc.). And, of course, the comedy shows--it is surprising how accurate Jon Stewart can be at times!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/28723/the-colbert-report-canton-apology#s-p1-st-i1" !

Not news, but this is the funniest thing I have seen since, ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edmonton Journal online
The Globe and Mail online
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
The Colbert Report
CBC Radio 2
Salon & New York Times online on weekends
News discussion website

Last edited:

1. Where do you typically get your daily news from?

As a scientist, I prioritize obtaining information from reliable and reputable sources. Therefore, I often get my daily news from well-established and trusted news outlets such as BBC, CNN, and The New York Times.

2. How do you ensure that the news you receive is accurate and unbiased?

I always fact-check the news I receive by cross-referencing information from multiple sources. Additionally, I make sure to read news from various perspectives and sources to avoid bias and misinformation.

3. Do you have a preferred platform or medium for consuming news?

I personally prefer reading the news on a traditional format, such as a physical newspaper or news website. However, I also use social media platforms and news aggregator apps to stay updated on the latest headlines and breaking news.

4. How important is it for you to stay updated with current events?

As a scientist, it is crucial for me to stay updated with current events and news, especially those related to my field of expertise. Being informed about current events allows me to have a better understanding of the world and how it may impact my research and work.

5. How do you deal with conflicting news reports on the same topic?

When faced with conflicting news reports, I make sure to fact-check and verify information from multiple sources. I also consider the credibility and reputation of the sources before forming an opinion on the topic. If necessary, I consult with other experts in the field to gain a better understanding and make an informed decision.