1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you graph this?

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    In chemistry Im suppose to graph
    reciprocal of time ( seconds ) Vs concentration of a solution.

Im suppose to plot 3 different plots, which i have obtained from the lab we did. So i have 3 different concentration each with different time.

its not reciprocal of time vs reciprocal of concentration, it has to be reciprocal of time vs Concentration.

I know how to find a reciprocal of time, but when i reciprocate the time, what do i do with concetration?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2
    Nothing!

Just plot 1/t against concentration. What is the problem?

4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    so the graph shouldnt look any different from regular time vs concentration?

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The graph should look very different from a normal concentration v time graph. For one, in the reciprocal plot, high time values are converted to low 1/t values and vice versa. This has the effect of changing increasing functions into decreasing functions. For example, see the attached plots. The concentration v time graph is shown in the middle and it is plotting the y column against the x column on the table. It is an increasing function. In contrast, by plotting the y column against the 1/x column, you obtain the graph on the right, which shows a decreasing function.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook