Graphing a Linear Function with Two Variables: Exploring y = (x + p) + q

• Thread starter lola2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the function f(x) = (x + p) + q can be simplified to f(x) = x + c, where c = p + q. This represents a straight line with a slope of 1 and a y-intercept of c. The equation is similar to y = mx + c, and the right side can also be written as (x + p) + q, representing a horizontal and vertical translation of y = x.
lola2000

Homework Statement

I am not sure how to graph the function

f(x)=(x+p)+q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When x=0 y=p+q
if y=0 x=-q-p ?

what shape would this give??[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
lola2000 said:

Homework Statement

I am not sure how to graph the function

f(x)=(x+p)+q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When x=0 y=p+q
if y=0 x=-q-p ?

what shape would this give??[/B]
f(x) = (x + p) + q can also be written as f(x) = x + (p + q)
No as p and q are both constants, let:
p + q = c
Sp, we get f(x) = x + c
This is similar to the equation y = mx + c. What does this equation stand for?

siddharth23 said:
f(x) = (x + p) + q can also be written as f(x) = x + (p + q)
No as p and q are both constants, let:
p + q = c
Sp, we get f(x) = x + c
This is similar to the equation y = mx + c. What does this equation stand for?

So it will just be a straight line upwards with a gradient of 1 and y intercept of p+q?

lola2000 said:
f(x)=(x+p)+q
This is nothing more than a straight line whose slope is 1 and whose y-intercept is p + q.

The only reason I can think of for writing the right side as (x + p) + q is to get you to recognize this as a horizontal translation and a vertical translation of the graph of y = x.

lola2000 said:
So it will just be a straight line upwards with a gradient of 1 and y intercept of p+q?
Yes!

1. How do I choose the appropriate type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you choose will depend on the type of data you are trying to represent. For continuous data, a line graph is usually best, while for categorical data, a bar or pie chart may be more suitable. If you want to show the relationship between two variables, a scatter plot is a good choice. Consider the purpose of your graph and the type of data you have before selecting a graph type.

2. How do I determine the scale for my graph?

The scale of your graph should be chosen to accurately represent your data without distorting the information. Start by determining the range of your data and then choose a scale that allows you to clearly display this range. You can also consider using a logarithmic scale if your data has a wide range of values.

3. How do I label my graph?

Labeling your graph is important for providing context and making it easy to interpret. Be sure to include a title that summarizes the information being presented, labels for each axis, and a legend if necessary. You may also want to include units of measurement and any important notes or explanations.

4. How do I plot multiple data sets on one graph?

If you want to compare multiple data sets on one graph, you can use different colors or symbols to differentiate them. Be sure to include a legend so the reader can easily understand which data set corresponds to each color or symbol. You may also consider using multiple axes if the data sets have significantly different scales.

5. How do I interpret the data from my graph?

The interpretation of your graph will depend on the type of data being presented and the purpose of your graph. Look for patterns, trends, and relationships between variables. Consider the scale and labels on your graph to properly understand the data. Additionally, it is important to consider any limitations or potential sources of error in your data when interpreting your graph.