Graphing Phase & Trajectory Solutions: A Simple Guide

• Thread starter physicsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, to graph the trajectory of a specific solution given below, you need to plot x'(t) VS x(t). If you are not familiar with MATLAB I can explain how to input the functions if you're having trouble. However, if you need to do this in maple or whatever, just use the same approach, however I cannot help you with the syntax using that program as I have no experience using it.
physicsss
I know how to graph the phase plane of a general solution but how do I graph the trajectory of the specific solution given below?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Typically a phase plane is composed of an infinite number of trajectories. The initial conditions of a system determine which specific trajectory applies to the system with its given set of initial conditions. You have a specific equation - let's call it x(t). In order to draw its trajectoy we need to plot x'(t) VS x(t). If I were to plot this in MATLAB I would use the following commands

first I'm going to determine how long I want to plot this for
>>t = linspace(0,10,1000);

this makes a vector t that is composed of 1000 equally spaced numbers between 0 and 10.

>>xt = your given function here;
>>xpt = take the derivative of the function above and code it here;

>>plot(xt,xpt) this plots xpt on the y-axis and xt on the x axis
>>xlabel('x(t)')
>>ylabel('x dot(t)')
>>title('single trajectory of x(t)')
>>grid on this will add a grid to your plot for easier reading

If you are not familiar with MATLAB I can explain how to input the functions if you're having trouble. However, if you need to do this in maple or whatever, just use the same approach, however I cannot help you with the syntax using that program as I have no experience using it.

The system above can also be plotted even easier using SIMULINK if you have any experience with that. In fact, when using simulink all you need to do is input the differential equation and your IC's and you can do just about anything to the output.

Thanks, but I need to know how to do this by hand.

I assume you mean:

[tex]x_1(t)=1/4e^{-t}+7/4e^{-2t}[/tex]

[tex]x_2(t)=-1/2e^{-t}+14/4e^{-2t}[/tex]

In this case, if the ODE was written as:

[tex]\frac{dx_1}{dt}=f(x_1,x_2)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx_2}{dt}=g(x_1,x_2)[/tex]

Then the slope field is drawn in terms of the vector field:

[tex]F[x,y]=\langle f(x,y),g(x,y) \rangle[/tex]

Then plot [itex]x_1(t)[/tex] and [itex]x_2(t)[/itex] parametrically in the same coordinate space. Just do 10 of them should be enough to get a rough plot say from t=0 to t=2. You know the points [itex](x_1(t),x_2(t))[/itex].

Last edited:
Does this look right?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 451
physicsss said:
Does this look right?

Hey Physicsss. You know, I stated something incorrectly above regarding how to draw the slope field. I corrected it and hope that didn't cause confussion for you. Your plot looks Ok but it would be nice if you posted the ODE system. Also, it's a good idea to put an arrow at the end of the solution in order to identify the direction it's going.

Attachments

• sol1.JPG
    sol1.JPG
    4.3 KB · Views: 433
The original problem didn't give the ODE system, only eigenvectors and their associated eigenvalues...and just one question, how do you know it's a straight path? I thought it should be somewhat curved since it's a linear combination of two things...

physicsss said:
The original problem didn't give the ODE system, only eigenvectors and their associated eigenvalues...and just one question, how do you know it's a straight path? I thought it should be somewhat curved since it's a linear combination of two things...

Well, x1 and x2 are given in terms of t parametrically but we're graphing them as x2 in terms of x1. Calculate the derivatives of both then form the quotient:

[tex]\frac{\frac{dx_2}{dt}}{\frac{dx_1}{dt}}[/tex]

That becomes:

[tex]\frac{dx_2}{dx_1}[/tex]

That then is the slope of the graph we get. What do you suppose will be the slope you get?

Physicsss, I made another mistake, Algebra this time. You know, the trajectory is not a straight line. It's just looks like one when you plot it from t=0 to t=2. Below is what it looks like closer to the origin (t>2). When we form the quotient of both derivatives, it's not constant as I initially thought but rather:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1/2e^{-t}-14/2e^{-2t}}{-1/4e^{-t}-7/2e^{-2t}}[/tex]

Which is:

[tex]\frac{2\left(1/4e^{-t}-7/2e^{-2t}\right)}{-\left(1/4e^{-t}+7/2e^{-2t}\right)}[/tex]

Sorry if I gave you the impression that it was a straight line. :blushing:

Attachments

• plot7.JPG
    plot7.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 424

1. How do you plot data points on a graph?

To plot data points on a graph, you need to determine the x and y coordinates for each point. Then, mark the coordinates on the graph and connect the points with a line or scatter them according to your data.

2. How do you choose the appropriate type of graph for your data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have and what you want to show. For example, a line graph is suitable for showing trends over time, while a bar graph is better for comparing different categories of data.

3. How do you label and title a graph?

To label a graph, you should include a title that summarizes the data being shown, labels for the x and y axes, and units for each axis. You may also want to include a legend if you have multiple data sets on the same graph.

4. How do you determine the scale for each axis on a graph?

The scale for each axis on a graph should be chosen based on the range of your data. You want to make sure that the data points are spread out enough to clearly show any patterns or trends, but not so spread out that the graph becomes difficult to read.

5. How do you interpret a graph?

To interpret a graph, you need to look at the data points and the overall trend or pattern they show. You can also look at the scale and intervals on the axes to understand the magnitude of the data. If there are multiple data sets on the same graph, you can compare them to see any differences or similarities.