How do you guys read your books?

• Thread starter Chris Riccard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the book is about Einstein's theory of relativity. It is well-written and leaves the reader with a positive feeling.
Chris Riccard
I'm currently reading: introducing philosophy, God, mind, world and logic. It has a picture of what looks like an entanglement on the cover and I know I have to be mindful of the way the words and arguments are presented as to not fall into a faulty reasoning mode of thought, I mean I still need some randomness if you understand what I'm saying. So opinions, ideas, thoughts on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris Riccard said:
introducing philosophy, God, mind, world and logic

Watch your punctuation. "Introducing philosophy, God, mind, world and logic" looks like a disaster waiting to happen, as these are incompatible topics, "Introducing philosophy: God, mind, world and logic" makes it much more palatable.

Likes kimberlywoods
That book isn't right anyway.

I read textbooks differently than other books for the most part. That's the main difference.

Likes xe qngai
I am currently into design thinking, and my latest highlight is a book written by Tom and David Kelley called Creative Confidence. It's really well-written, and leaves me with positive feeling after I end another chapter. I look forward to taking a course on d.school.

If it is a Textbook I usually go over the examples and make sure I understand most of the concepts if you don't you probably won't get much out of it. It depends on my schedule if its a autobiography or story( a book not chock full of problems. If its a textbook I'll take a while to digest the material in small chunks usually. Fiction books I like to finish off in a few sittings if not one. For Text Books It might really help you in the long run if you try relating the concepts to what you already know it could definately help you with understanding as well as recall. I am currently reading Reading ray d'inverno introducing einstein's relativity

1. How do you guys read your books?

As a scientist, I typically read books in a systematic and analytical manner. I start by skimming through the table of contents and chapter headings to get an overview of the book's structure. Then, I read the introduction and conclusion to understand the author's main argument and purpose for writing the book. Finally, I read each chapter carefully, taking notes and highlighting key points as I go.

2. Do you read physical books or e-books?

It depends on the book and my personal preference. I find that physical books are easier for me to annotate and take notes on, but e-books are more convenient for travel and storage. I usually choose the format based on the length and type of book I am reading.

3. How do you retain information from the books you read?

As a scientist, I use various techniques to retain information from the books I read. This includes taking notes, summarizing key points, and creating visual aids such as mind maps or diagrams. I also try to actively engage with the material by asking questions and making connections to my own research or previous knowledge.

4. How do you choose which books to read?

As a scientist, I usually choose books based on my research interests and current projects. I also rely on recommendations from colleagues and reputable sources such as scientific journals or book reviews. I also make sure to read a variety of books to broaden my knowledge and perspective.

5. How do you make time for reading books as a busy scientist?

Finding time to read books can be challenging, but as a scientist, it is important to stay updated on current research and advancements in my field. I try to schedule dedicated reading time, whether it is during my commute or before bed. I also make use of audiobooks and podcasts to listen to while doing other tasks such as commuting or exercising.