How do you guys view other people

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, Richard Feynman did not believe in any of the traditional religions, and he viewed them as nothing more than opinions. He felt that if he started doubting the validity of traditional religions, it was hard to recover from.
wasteofo2 said:
Anyway, I'm preparing to be flamed by physicists *Erects shield of ice and stone*

I can't imagine why you would be flamed. You haven't said anything illogical or inflammatory in my opinion. You have simply stated that if someone has a particular interest in a subject, he/she doesn't have any right to think less of someone who has no interest in the subject. I agree with you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In that case, I agree too.

In general, I like other people. I suppose there are a few exceptions for people I don't like, but not many.

But what does physics have to do with people? Math and physics are kind of personal things, y'know? Well, at least to me they are.

I like people for people and whatever they're interested in. Anybody that talks to me knows that you'd probably have to ask me before I'd start talking about math/physics. In fact, most of my non-science-type friends talk about it more than I do! But I suppose that's true for most topics...

cookiemonster

hey, cookiemonster - what do you think of people who aren't interested in cookies?

Math Is Hard said:
hey, cookiemonster - what do you think of people who aren't interested in cookies?

Obviously, he likes them, because they leave more cookies for him! http://www.groom-family.com/forum/images/smilies/1263.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
cragwolf is a sharp one.

cookiemonster

So what would one say to someone who actually believed the bull**** of flat earth... My point being that a lot of people believe scripture over scientific evidence. So how do you deal with something if science is able to prove a normally held thought is wrong say string theory with more dimensions or something goes against scripture.

Tom McCurdy said:
So what would one say to someone who actually believed the bull**** of flat earth... My point being that a lot of people believe scripture over scientific evidence. So how do you deal with something if science is able to prove a normally held thought is wrong say string theory with more dimensions or something goes against scripture.

Well, the nice thing is that you can say anything you darn well please. There was a time on this planet when they'd string you up for saying such things. :smile:

I am not sure what you mean when you say "deal with something". Normally when you "deal with something" you are resolving it within your own belief system or you are combatting arguments or hostility from people who do not share your views. Is this what you are experiencing? (The latter, I mean).

It seems like today physics and normal life conflicting more and more and that people rather believe in their perfect instinctal world rather than accepting or even examining new areas of physics like string theory.

Ivan Seeking said:
Really I did find it helpful. It acted as a constant reminder of the differing perspectives found throughout the company. A scientific, analytic approach to the world works well to a point. In many areas this approach fails.

In my line of work, engineers are famously bad business people. After hanging out my shingle I quickly learned that there are some really smart business people who are well versed in "handling" the engineering mind. Logic often plays no obvious role in what happens next. It is all a big game. I spend half of my time trying to figure out how I'm getting screwed this month.

I would advise that one should never underestimate just how smart non-science people can be. Remember, budget managers run the world not engineers and scientists.

The business end of things can be cut throat-especially when you're a single contractor dealing with a business- you simply don't have the resources a medium or large company has.

I have a friend who's pursing his MBA.. they are teaching him some interesting things.. They are using aspects of real life situations such as Enron as a business model. Passing the buck to make it look like someone else screwed up.. And that's the future CEO's coming out of business school..

I sense undertones of elitism laced throughout this thread also..(though not from everyone). Some facts to remember:

The average IQ is 100. Full comprehension of advanced physics and math at this level would be difficult, and require substantially more work than someone with say, an IQ of 130 or 140, and might seem a bit more daunting.

As it's already been pointed out, one man's trash is another's treasure. I find certain things extremely boring and repetative while others might find them fascinating. For instance, I once tried to teach. It went horribly, and I realized I lacked the patience and grace to handle this vocation. However I have (even more so now) the utmost respect for those who pursue it. After all, if there weren't teachers, who would teach us?

My point is that it's all about perspective. How many of you INTJ's think they could paint a picture worth hanging in a gallery, let alone something on par with Piccasso or Degas? We each have a role to play in life. I admit to being in certain situations where I was frustrated at trying to explain "basic concepts" to people who just didn't get it. But I try not to assume that they have nothing to contribute..

anyhow, it's late and I'm rambling...

Dissident Dan said:
Did anyone notice that this douche's name is supposedly "Lee Harvey Oswald Smith"?

His name is actually Reverend Brother Pope Lee Harvey Oswald Smith, KSC WMD :rofl: