Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you inscribe info. into a piece of metal?

1. Jan 31, 2004 #1
    How is it that you can "program" a piece of metal, such as a chip or board? I wish I knew! Is there a series of lines and dashes that do that? I'm completely baffled as to how someone gets a piece of metal to read another piece of metal and makes it into a working machine! :frown: [?] What is the basic mechanism at the base of all this that drives a computer or any other form of computer-based technology? What is the process that brings this all to life?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2004 #2

It's all thanks to the glories of quantum mechanics in play in a semiconductor, allowing you to make what is essentially a load of switches work together.
  4. Jan 31, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

But it's important to realise that the "switches" mentioned are not physical or mechanical switches in the normal sense. They are peaks of magnetic fields in the metal. There's a good explanation at this site.

I understand that by 2010, a one-petabyte (1,000 terrabytes, or 1,000,000 Gig; enough disk-space to store the entire Library of Congress fifty times!) disk should be created, using carbon nanotubes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?