1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you integrate sec^3(x)

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    This is not homework, but I'm just wondering, how do you integrate this deceptive looking integrand to get what Wolfram has?

I don't get why the answer has an inverse hyperbolic function. Please teach me!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

[tex]\int sec^3xdx = \int secx (sec^2x dx)[/tex]

Integration by parts and then use the identity [itex]sec^2x=tan^2x+1[/itex]

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3
    That method leads to (1/2)sec(x)tan(x) + (1/2)ln(sec(x) + tan(x)) + C. I am interested in getting an inverse hyperbolic function as displayed on Wolfram.

I do not know how inverse hyperbolic functions are related to integrals. The only success I've had was integrating sec(x) into 2tanh^-1(tan(x/2))

5. Jan 19, 2009 #4
    Maybe you should post what wolfram got?

6. Jan 19, 2009 #5
  7. Jan 20, 2009 #6

Mute

Homework Helper

Inverse hyperbolic functions can be written in terms of logarithms. In particular,

[tex]\operatorname{artanh}(x) = \frac{1}{2}\ln\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)[/tex]

So playing around with your logarithm you can probably get the artanh function they give out. (You may need to add a constant to your result to get to theirs).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?