1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you minimize this?

1. Jul 13, 2006 #1
    [tex]aX^2 + bX + c[/tex]

where X belongs to the reals.

I am reading an analysis book and one of the problems asks me to minimize this general form polynomial.

I know that normally you would take the derivative and set it equal to zero, but in this case does that make sense? I would get the minimum is b when X = 0.

If that is the answer, how does that help me to show that

[tex] b^2 -4ac \leq 0 [/tex]

Thank-you for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2
    Are you sure about that? What is the derivative of that function? Also are there any conditions on a, b, and c because I don't think you can find a minimum without conditions, and in fact the function may not even have a minimum without them.
  4. Jul 13, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, if you really mean the general [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] where a,b,c can be any numbers, then it may not have a minimum! It will have a minimum if and only if a> 0.

You don't really need calculus for this: complete the square!
    If [itex]y= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] then y= a(x^2+ \frac{b}{a}x)+ c. We can make the part inside the parentheses a perfect square by adding [itex]\left(\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2= \frac{b^2}{4a^2}[/itex]. Of course, we also need to subtract it.
    [tex]y= a(x^2+\frac{b}{a}x+ \frac{b^2}{4a^2}-\frac{b^2}{4a^2})+ c[tex]
    [tex] = a(x^2+\frac{b}{a}x+ \frac{b^2}{4a^2})- \frac{b^2}{4a}+ c[/tex]
    [tex] = a(x+ \frac{b}{2a})^2+ c- \frac{b^2}{4a}[/tex]
    Since a square is never negative, if a> 0, the minimum value occurs when the squared term is 0. That is, when [itex]x= -\frac{b}{2a}[/itex] and, in that case, [itex]y= c-\frac{b^2}{4a}[/itex]. If a< 0, then that is a minimum.

As for
    I don't know how in the world you got that result. Did you take the derivative and then set X= 0?? Set the whole derivative equal to 0 and solve for x. The derivative of [itex]y= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] is [itex]y'= 2ax+ b[/itex]. That equals 0 when [itex]x= -\frac{b}{2a}[/itex] just as above. And in that case, [itex]y= \frac{b^2}{4a}- \frac{b^2}{2a}+ c= c- \frac{b^2}{4a}[/itex] again, just as before.

It doesn't! If a, b, c can be anything in the general formula then [itex]b^2- 4ac[/itex] can be anything. Of course, that is the discriminant in the quadratic formula. If it is negative, then the equation [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] has no real solutions so the graph does not cross the x-axis. Assuming that a> 0 so this has a minimum, the if the minimum is not negative, that is if [itex]c-\frac{b^2}{4a}\ge 0[/itex] then, geometrically the graph clearly does not cross the x axis (but may be tangent to it) so there are no real roots (except possibly the vertex itself). Algebraically, it is easy to see that if [itex]c- \frac{b^2}{4a}\ge 0[/itex] then, multiplying by the positive number 4a, [itex]4ac- b^2\ge 0[/itex] so [itex]b^2- 4ac\le 0[/itex].
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?