Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you name

  1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    How do you name a physical quantity that can be defined at a given point in space: pointlike? local? Say energy density.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    Well it's a field. But what kind depends on the type of quantity. Spinor, scalar, tensor, density of weight d, etc.
  4. Nov 12, 2006 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Do you actually mean something that can be defined "only at one point"?
    Or something "distributional" (like a Dirac delta function)?

    Do you have a specific detailed example?
  5. Nov 12, 2006 #4
    It seems to be way you use the term "write" It seems okay. Folks you might use the term "word."


  6. Nov 12, 2006 #5
    point like? punctual?

    I mean density of energy which can be defined in the case of an uniform distribution as ro=m/V but as ro=dm/dV in the case of a nonuniform distribution having well defined magnitudes at different points in space. Do you say that it is a pointlike or punctual physical quantity.
    Thanks to al who have answered my question.
  7. Nov 12, 2006 #6


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    When we have a time-varying quantity and we want to refer specifically to its value at a certain point in time, we often use the word "instantaneous". Are you looking for a similar word to refer to the value of a spatially-varying quantity, at a particular point in space?

    In that case, I think the best word would probably be "local", e.g. "local energy density," as opposed to the "average energy density" over a region of space.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook