What is the correct pronunciation for 'hooray'?

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
In summary: I like to use the word "paneity" at every opportunity.I like to use the word "paneity" at every opportunity.
BicycleTree
How do you pronounce "hooray"

is a word I like. Pronounce it with an oo sound, not like "h'ray." Leap barefoot for joy in the grass. Say it when you have discovered a tiny splash of color on an issue that is otherwise bad.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the word "Wheee!"

It brings all sorts of childhood fun to mind. You can say it if you feel like you're falling in a mad rush of pure enjoyment.

My exam is just finished

BicycleTree said:
is a word I like. Pronounce it with an oo sound, not like "h'ray." Leap barefoot for joy in the grass. Say it when you have discovered a tiny splash of color on an issue that is otherwise bad.

Oh well, feel free to pronounce teh word :biggrin:. I am sure in a few weeks, my tests will get mark As or A- 's :biggrin:

Hooray!Hooray!

Huzzah is better.

"If you're happy and you know it, say 'Hooray!'" :biggrin: My friends' 21-month old daughter was singing that on the 4th. Well, we sang, "If you're happy and you know it, say..." and she finished with "Hooray!" and raised her fisted hands in the air to cheer. It was incredibly adorable. She dances to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" too, and can sing a little of it; enough that I could tell that's what she was singing anyway. :approve:

i prefer, Hoorah... also with an 'oo' sound...

I pronounce it YEE-HAAAWWW!

Gale17 said:
i prefer, Hoorah... also with an 'oo' sound...
Well, yeah, but then it doesn't rhyme with "say" and the song sounds funny. Besides, 21 month olds are cuter saying "HooRAY" than "HooRAH." :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Well, yeah, but then it doesn't rhyme with "say" and the song sounds funny. Besides, 21 month olds are cuter saying "HooRAY" than "HooRAH." :biggrin:
A 21 month old saying huzzah might be pretty cute though.

TheStatutoryApe said:
A 21 month old saying huzzah might be pretty cute though.
Not sure Z's are all that easily pronounced yet at that age. It would be cute if she could pronounce it though. It would probably sound more like "h'sah."

I like to use the word "paneity" at every opportunity.

What is it R. Lee Ermey says on Mail Call?

Hooyah or Hooah

Yeah, Hooah! I like that.

yippy skippy!

1. How do you pronounce "hooray"?

The most common pronunciation of "hooray" is "hoo-ray". The emphasis is on the first syllable "hoo".

2. Is there another way to pronounce "hooray"?

Some people may pronounce "hooray" as "hoo-rah" or "hoo-ree". However, "hoo-ray" is the most widely accepted pronunciation.

3. Is "hooray" a common word in the English language?

Yes, "hooray" is a commonly used expression to express joy, excitement, or victory.

4. Are there any variations in the pronunciation of "hooray" in different regions or accents?

Yes, there may be slight variations in the pronunciation of "hooray" depending on the region or accent. For example, some may pronounce it as "hur-ray" or "hoo-rah" in certain regions.

5. Can "hooray" be pronounced differently for emphasis?

Yes, "hooray" can be pronounced with a longer "oo" sound to emphasize the excitement or joy. It can also be repeated multiple times, such as "hoo-ray hoo-ray!" for added emphasis.