Can you explain how to reduce factorials for the ratio test?

• Thread starter viciousp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorials
In summary, the conversation revolves around reducing factorials and applying the ratio test in a mathematical problem involving (2n+1)!/(2n+3)!. The solution involves expanding the expressions and factoring out common terms to simplify the equation. The conversation also touches on mathematical induction and the use of factorials in solving problems.
viciousp

Homework Statement

This isn't a specific problem rather I don't know how to reduce factorials and this is giving me a hard time when I try the ratio test. For an example I'll use (2n+1)!/(2n+3)!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempt it by writing out some solutions in this case for n=0 to n=3 or so.
I start of writing it as (1*3*5*7)/(3*5*7*9) so it reduces down to 1/9 when n=3 so the incorrect reduced equation is 1/(2n+3). How should I approach problems like these?

Physics news on Phys.org
I might be smoking something but:

[tex]\frac{(2n+1)!}{(2n+3)!} = \frac{1*2*3*4*...*2n*(2n+1)}{1*2*3*4*...*2n*(2n+1)*(2n+2)*(2n+3)}[/tex]

Doesn't it?

Using the fact that (x)! = (x)(x-1)! (where x = 2n+3 in your case), you can easily show that that fraction reduces to the form that Feldoh's post suggests.

Thanks nicksauce for the formula, but I am still wondering how you would expand something like that (2n+1)!/(2n+3)! like Feldoh did.

Well just remember that (2n + 1)! = (2n + 1) * 2n * (2n - 1) * (2n - 2)!

And then just cancel the common multiples out on the top and bottom of the fraction.

viciousp said:
Thanks nicksauce for the formula, but I am still wondering how you would expand something like that (2n+1)!/(2n+3)! like Feldoh did.
let x = (2n+3) and apply the formula nicksauce provided.

also if x! = x (x-1)!, then (x-1)! = (x-1) (x-2)! and so on . . . .

or alternatively, realize (x+1)! = (x+1) x!, then (x+2)! = (x+2) (x+1)! = (x+2)(x+1) x!.

Basically one expand the larger of the numerator or denominator until the common factorial appears.

Thank you all for helping

Astronuc said:
realize (x+1)! = (x+1) x!, then (x+2)! = (x+2) (x+1)! = (x+2)(x+1) x!.

Basically one expand the larger of the numerator or denominator until the common factorial appears.

I have a question expanding off of this. I am working a mathematical induction problem. Original question is 1*1!+2*2!+...(k)*(k)!=(n+1)!-1, and n is greater than or equal to 1.
The first two steps I completed with little problems.

For my last step I need to prove that n=k+1
My problem so far:
1*1!+2*2!+...(k+1)*(k+1)!=((k+1)+1)!-1

LHS is now:
((k+1)!-1+(k+1)*(k+1)! My problem lies in reducing this to match my RHS ((k+1)+1)!-1
My guess is that expanding it would look like this (k+1)*k!-1+(k+1)*(k+1)*k!, how do I reduce from here, but more importantly why? I don't understand why it would be acceptable to factor out (k+1)! or (k+1)*k! from either the non expanded or expanded form.
If I factor out (k+1)! without expanding it first I get 1-1+(k+1)*1, and I get the same when I factor out (k+1)*k! from the expanded form. Any insight to where I am going wrong on reducing it?

hmm, i don't understand what you mean by expanding but

when factor out (k+1)! you should get [tex][(k+1)!(1+k+1)]-1[/tex]

when factor out (k+1)k! you get [tex][(k+1)k!(1+k+1)]-1[/tex] and you can complete the induction from here

1. How do you reduce factorials using the product rule?

The product rule states that the factorial of n multiplied by the factorial of m is equal to the factorial of n+m. Therefore, to reduce factorials using the product rule, you can combine the two factorials into one and then simplify the resulting expression.

2. Can you reduce a factorial to a fraction?

No, factorials cannot be reduced to fractions. They are defined as the product of all positive integers from 1 to the given number, and cannot be expressed as a fraction.

3. What is the difference between reducing a factorial and simplifying a factorial?

Reducing a factorial involves finding the product of two factorials and simplifying the resulting expression. Simplifying a factorial involves finding the largest common factor between the terms in the factorial and dividing them out.

4. How do you reduce factorials with variables?

To reduce factorials with variables, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring and canceling out common factors to simplify the expression. However, it is important to note that factorials with variables cannot be fully reduced, as they are defined as the product of integers.

5. Can factorials be reduced to negative numbers?

No, factorials cannot be reduced to negative numbers. They are only defined for non-negative integers. If you encounter a negative factorial in a problem, it is likely a notation for a related function such as the gamma function, which can be evaluated for negative numbers.