How Do You Rewrite Equations for Finding Final Velocity?

• Thread starter Prezware
  • Start date
In summary, rewriting equations involves using properties of Real numbers and performing the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain equality. To solve for a specific variable, one needs to isolate it on one side of the equation by using the appropriate operations. It is important to show all steps and actively work through the problem rather than seeking a full example without any effort.
Prezware
How Do You Rewrite Equations? Can You Show All The Steps. For Say
d=(vi+vf)/2 and your trying to get vf where the d is.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to learn properties of Real numbers. This is generally how "Algebra 1" begins. Also, in your question, are the "i" and the "f" supposed to be subscripts for your variable names, or are they variables themselves? Anyway, show you work, and USE the properties of Real numbers which you are probably right now studying .

That Doesnt help me at all can some one help please!

To re-write equations, you do the same operation to both sides to keep the equation "equal". Like multiply both sides by the same number, or add subtract the same thing from both sides.

So, for the first step, what could you do to both sides to get that pesky "2" out of the denominator of the right-hand side (RHS)?

x 2 :)

i still need a full example

Prezware said:

Nope, not from us. As symbolipoint said, you need to do the work. That's how the PF works. We can offer suggestions and point out any errors in your work, but you do the bulk of the work. Please re-read the Rules at the link at the top of the page if you need clarification on that.

So do the x2 step that you correctly said, and show us the equation that results. Then what do you think you need to do to get the vf on one side of the = sign all by itself? Do it and show us the answer.

Prezware said:
x 2 :)

Prezware said:

If you actually bothered to do the "x2" to the equation and looked at the result, the rest is easy and obvious.

What is the purpose of rewriting equations?

Rewriting equations allows for the manipulation and rearrangement of mathematical expressions in order to solve for a specific variable or to make the equation more manageable and understandable.

What are the basic rules for rewriting equations?

The basic rules for rewriting equations include maintaining equality by performing the same operation on both sides, using inverse operations to isolate variables, and combining like terms.

What are some common techniques for rewriting equations?

Some common techniques for rewriting equations include factoring, distributing, grouping, and using the quadratic formula.

Can rewriting equations change the solution?

Yes, rewriting equations can change the solution. By manipulating the equation, you are essentially changing the problem and therefore, the solution may also change.

Why is it important to check the solution after rewriting an equation?

It is important to check the solution after rewriting an equation to ensure accuracy and avoid any mistakes that may have occurred during the process of rewriting.