How Do You Solve Thermal Expansion Equations Under Time Pressure?

• Thread starter Jayhawk1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the brass plug will fit into the ring at a temperature where the diameter of the brass plug is the same as the inside diameter of the ring.
Jayhawk1
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=543646#post543646

I asked this question earlier and I didn't get any significant help, atleast beyond what I already knew. I do not know how to calculate this, nor do my classmates who I have seen also posed this question to the forum. Please help! I know the concept, but I can not calculate it. I have worked on it for a few days now, and it is due in about an hour.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the coefficient of linear expansion of iron so you can calculate how much the linear dimensions of the ring have increased and so the volume at each temperature. From that you can calculate the inside diameter of the iron ring (which is now smaller!). You are given the coefficient of linear expansion of bronze so you can calcuate how much the linear dimension (in particular, the diameter) of the brass plug increases with each degree and so what the diameter is at any temperature. Now find the temperature at which those two diameters are the same.

Jayhawk1 said:
A brass plug is to be placed in a ring made of iron. At room temperature (20oC), the diameter of the plug is 8.755 cm and that of the inside of the ring is 8.745 cm. They must be brought to what common temperature (in Co) in order to fit? The coefficient of linear expansion for brass is 10x10-6(Co)-1 and that for iron is 12x10-6(Co)-1.

I don't know what to do with this... I know I have to subtract and divide some of these numbers, but I have no clue as to how to do it exactly. I need help please! Thank you.,

Diameter of brass plug as a function of the temperature change is

[tex] D_b = D_{b0}(1+10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

Diameter of iron ring as a function of the temperature change is

[tex] D_i = D_{i0}(1+12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

Set the two diameters equal and solve for the temperature change. Add the change to the starting temperature.

HallsofIvy said:
You are given the coefficient of linear expansion of iron so you can calculate how much the linear dimensions of the ring have increased and so the volume at each temperature. From that you can calculate the inside diameter of the iron ring (which is now smaller!). You are given the coefficient of linear expansion of bronze so you can calcuate how much the linear dimension (in particular, the diameter) of the brass plug increases with each degree and so what the diameter is at any temperature. Now find the temperature at which those two diameters are the same.

The diameter of the inside of the ring actually gets larger. If it were a disk, all the linear dimensions would increase. The diameter of the "missing" part of the disk that makes it a ring will expand in proportion to the outer diameter.

Thank you but...

Hahaha... I'm sorry, but now I'm just really confused. I tried making the two equations equal, but I got a very very small number. Can someone please clarify for me? I appreciate all your help so far.

Jayhawk1 said:
Hahaha... I'm sorry, but now I'm just really confused. I tried making the two equations equal, but I got a very very small number. Can someone please clarify for me? I appreciate all your help so far.

[tex] D_b = 8.755cm(1+10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] D_i = 8.745cm(1+12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] 8.755cm(1+10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T) = 8.745cm(1+12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] 8.755cm-8.745cm = 8.745cm(12*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T) - 8.755cm(10*10^{-6}/C^o*{\Delta}T)[/tex]

[tex] (8.755cm-8.745cm)*10^6C^o = (8.745cm*12 - 8.755cm*10){\Delta}T[/tex]

Can you finish this?

Related to How Do You Solve Thermal Expansion Equations Under Time Pressure?

1. Why am I feeling so confused and frustrated?

Feeling confused and frustrated can be a result of many different factors, such as stress, lack of sleep, or overwhelming situations. It's important to take a step back and identify the root cause of your feelings in order to address them effectively.

2. How can I manage my confusion and frustration?

One effective way to manage confusion and frustration is by practicing self-care and self-awareness. This can include things like taking breaks, talking to someone about your feelings, and finding healthy coping mechanisms.

3. Is it normal to feel confused and frustrated?

Yes, it's completely normal to experience feelings of confusion and frustration. Everyone goes through these emotions at some point in their lives, and it's important to acknowledge and accept them rather than suppressing them.

4. Can confusion and frustration affect my mental health?

Yes, prolonged feelings of confusion and frustration can have a negative impact on your mental health. It's important to address and manage these emotions in a healthy way to prevent them from causing further harm.

5. How can I communicate my confusion and frustration to others?

Communicating your feelings to others can be difficult, but it's important to express yourself in order to receive support and understanding. Try to use "I" statements and be specific about your feelings in order to effectively communicate your confusion and frustration.