1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you solve this differential equation?

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

http://simfish.googlepages.com/snap000672.jpg

Okay, so I tried to separate the (1-W/b) term by letting it go into the denominator. But then you can't really solve the equation by the traditional dW/W method, since W + constant is raised to a power of n. i could multiply both sides by (1-W/b) to a power of n-1, but then when i integrate, i don't get the desired answer. can anyone help? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have
    [tex]\frac{dW}{dz}= \frac{M}{(1-\frac{z}{a})(1-\frac{W}{b})^n}[/tex] W(0)= 0

That separates as
    [tex](1- \frac{W}{b})^n dW= \frac{M dz}{(1-\frac{z}{a})}[/tex]
    I'm not sure what you mean by "the traditional dW/W method" but if you mean just integrating to get ln(W), that works in only a tiny fraction of such separable differential equations. To integrate the left side, I would recommend letting u= 1- W/b so that du= -dW/b and the integral becomes
    [tex]\int (1- \frac{W}{b})^n dW= -\frac{1}{b}\int u^n du[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?