1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do You Solve This Trig Equation

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    I have spent over an hour trying to solve this equation but I cannot seem to do anything with the equation after I get to the point where

0nYG9.jpg

.529cosx + 0.916sinx = 1

I've tried doing a million other substitutions and methods but I just don't know how I should go about finding x.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]A\sin x+B\cos x=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cdot\sin(x+\phi)\,,[/itex] where [itex]\displaystyle \phi = \arctan \left(\frac{B}{A}\right) + \begin{cases}0 & \text{if }A \ge 0, \\\pi & \text{if }A < 0,\end{cases}[/itex]

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Thank you for the quick reply but I'm not sure what I need to do with that equation.

I tried substituting values and in the end I got x = -38.23 which is incorrect

Edit: For the love of... it worked! Tried it again and apparently I'd done some of mistake, but that formula is magical! I'd be interested in learning why it works but I've already spent about 2 hours on this question, so I will likely come back here to ask in the future.

Thanks so much!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook