Limit of K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle

In summary, the conversation revolved around the ratio of even to odd numbers in Pascal's triangle and how it grows exponentially. The participants then discussed the limit of this ratio as k approaches infinity and arrived at a simplified expression. They speculated that the limit may be (4/3) but were unsure how to prove it rigorously. One participant suggested using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit to find the exact value. Another participant thought out loud about inequalities involving the function f(x) = x^{\frac{1}{k}}, which is related to the limit expression.
bolle
Me and a friend was contemplating the ratio of even to odd number in Pascals triangle. After some thought we arrived at a ratio like this when looking at a triangle of 2k-1 rows.

[itex]\frac{2^{2k-3}+2^{k-2}}{3^{k-1}} - 1 [/itex]

As expected, this ratio grows exponentially. (I.e. almost all numbers in Pascals triangle will be even) However, we then started to wonder with what base this will grow, I.e. we wondered about

[itex] \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} (\frac{2^{2k-3}+2^{k-2}}{3^{k-1}} - 1)^\frac{1}{k}[/itex]

After some calculations we got it reduced to

[itex] \lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{4}{3}(2^{\log_23-3}+2^{\log_23-2-k} - 2^{-k(2-\log_23)})^\frac{1}{k}[/itex]

Now, we believe this to be (4/3) but we get stuck with the limit

[itex]\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} [\frac{3}{8} +\frac{3}{2^{k+2}} - \frac{3^k}{4^k}]^\frac{1}{k} [/itex]

Our thinking is that the last two terms within the brackets will be small so that this is somewhat like taking

[itex] \lim_{k\rightarrow \infty} (\frac{3}{8})^{\frac{1}{k}}=1 [/itex]?

and hence that the base tends to (4/3)? Empirically, this seems to be the case. However, how to you take this limit with mathematical rigour?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Not that it answers your problem, but it will make formatting much easier: LaTeX guide.

Thanks, I didn't know it was available. I'm new to forums like these.

Hey bolle and welcome to the forums.

I'm pretty sure that since this function is continuous across the interval (since 3/8 > 0) you can basically treat it as an evaluation of f(1/k) where f(x) = a^x as k -> infinity which means it will just be a^0 = 1.

The reason you can do this is because for a continuous function the limit is equal to the value of that function (this is actually how you define continuity rigorously in analysis).

So as long as you have this property, it's basically a thing where you just evaluate the limit and plug that in for the function (but it has to be continuous).

We know this is continuous and smooth since you can take the derivative of (3/8)^x and it is also a smooth function.

Whenever you can't be sure when something is continuous or not, then you need to use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit to find out. You also need to consider when the limit gives a non-finite value (like infinity or negative infinity) or whether the limit doesn't even exist (the right hand limit is not equal to the left hand limit).

[itex] \frac {3}{8} - \frac{3^k}{4^k} \lt \frac{3}{8} +\frac{3}{2^{k+2}} - \frac{3^k}{4^k} \lt \frac{3}{8} + \frac{3}{2^{k+2}} [/itex]

For [itex] k > 1, f(x) = x^{\frac{1}{k}} [/itex] are there inequalities comparing

[itex] f(a + b) [/itex] to [itex] f(a) + f(b) [/itex] and [itex] f( p - q) [/itex] to [itex] f(p) - f(q) [/itex] when [itex] p - q > 0 [/itex] ?

Thiis isn't a real hint. I'm just thinking out loud.

Stephen Tashi said:
[itex] \frac {3}{8} - \frac{3^k}{4^k} \lt \frac{3}{8} +\frac{3}{2^{k+2}} - \frac{3^k}{4^k} \lt \frac{3}{8} + \frac{3}{2^{k+2}} [/itex]

You are of course correct. We can enclose the limit in this way. I seem to have completely forgotten my real analysis.

1. What is the limit of K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle?

The limit of K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle is equal to the number of rows in the triangle. This means that for a K-Root to exist, there must be at least K rows in the triangle. As the number of rows increases, the number of K-Roots also increases.

2. How do you calculate the K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle?

To calculate the K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle, you must first determine the number of rows in the triangle. Then, you can use the formula (n choose k) = n! / (k!(n-k)!) to find the number of combinations (or K-Roots) in the Kth row. For example, to find the number of 4-Roots in the 7th row, you would use (7 choose 4) = 7! / (4!(7-4)!), which equals 35.

3. What is the purpose of K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle?

K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle are used to find the coefficients of the expansion of binomials raised to a power. This is known as the Binomial Theorem and is often used in algebra and calculus to simplify complicated equations.

4. Can there be more than one K-Root in a single row of Pascal's Triangle?

Yes, there can be multiple K-Roots in a single row of Pascal's Triangle. For example, the 4th row of the triangle has two 2-Roots: 6 and 4. This is because both 6 and 4 can be formed by choosing 2 elements from a set of 4 elements.

5. Is there a pattern to the placement of K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle?

Yes, there is a pattern to the placement of K-Roots in Pascal's Triangle. K-Roots are always located at the ends of each row, and their values decrease as you move towards the center of the triangle. Additionally, K-Roots are symmetrically placed in each row, with the same number of K-Roots on both sides of the triangle.