How Do You Take Your Coffee?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date

How Do You Take Your Coffee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've recently started drinking coffee in the morning. General advice is that 4 cups of coffee is a safe amount. I'm confused how to calculate that in terms of mugs full. I drink 2 mugs of coffee a morning. The average mug is 12 ounces. A cup is 8 ounces. So I guess that means a person can drink 2.75 mugs safely.

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I guess I'm different.
I usually like my coffee black, but I add a touch of salt to it which makes it less bitter tasting.

This is a trick I learned from an old sailor when I was working as a deckhand on a ship as a summer job while I was an undergraduate.
(Coffee often sits around in heated coffee pots for a long time on ships. Things oxidize and make acids.)

Years later I read somewhere that salt blocks or interacts with bitter sensations in someway.
Could not really find molecular details.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
I guess I'm different.

Years later I read somewhere that salt blocks or interacts with bitter sensations in someway.
Could not really find molecular details.
I'll eat a pack of salt when I start thinking about my ex-girlfriend ;).

Cut my teeth on double strength black coffee.
Never wash the coffee cup.

View attachment 172510
Navy coffee starts off with five gallon cans of grounds. The coffee is dished into ten gallon percolators by drudge workers who don't want to be there and don't like coffee anyway. Boil for a few days. When it's ready you simply cut off a piece with a carbide tipped tool provided and chew on it for the duration of your watch, 6-8 hours for us snipes. At the end of the watch you put it back in the pot. DO NOT throw it overboard. Some of the chunks have made their way onshore and small animals and children are at risk if this happens.