Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you think the world will end

1. Warring countries/ terrorists will nuke the world until it is uninhabitable

8 vote(s)
  2. Angry citizens will create a world-wide free-for-all deathmatch

9 vote(s)
  3. There will be and environmental disaster

19 vote(s)
  4. A new disease will come that will wipe out all humans

3 vote(s)
  5. We desert planet earth

7 vote(s)
  6. The air and water becomes so toxic that it is uninhabitable

9 vote(s)
  1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    simple question, but i know i probably left out a few scientific reasons, so post them! :surprised
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

Gold Member

free for all death match!!!!
  4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    Do you mean how will the Human Race end or the actual earth?
  5. Jun 13, 2005 #4

Gold Member

I think he means human race because a nuclear holocaust's results would be nothing compared to some of the stages hte earth has been through in its life-time.
  6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    human race
  7. Jun 13, 2005 #6
    There will be and environmental disaster
    The air and water becomes so toxic that it is uninhabitable

These two seem closely related.
  8. Jun 13, 2005 #7
    Just reading through the options I'm dying for a free for all deathmatch, but Penguino beat me to it with his enthusiasm. Like a real life game of Quake or UT, last man standing. I'm so there. Lock and load, Penguino. One day.. Now I must fantasise about the inevitable apocolapyse. Rock on!
  9. Jun 14, 2005 #8
    The Earth gets sucked into the sun?
  10. Jun 14, 2005 #9

Gold Member

world will expand as much as possible and then a big explosion will happen again!who knows maybe sth like big bang would happen again and again ...
    and a new world will come into existence!
  11. Jun 14, 2005 #10
    The Sith Empire will invade us and turn all humans into slaves and use us as fodder against the galactic republic
  12. Jun 14, 2005 #11

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think we'll make it. How so pessimistic that is and I'm usually so optimistic. You read stories about what man will do in the distant future, you know, like when the sun becomes a red-giant. Are they kidding? There won't be any humans around when that happens. We're all a part of one grand genetic lineage that ebbs and flows like a wondering river. We'll take our place for a moment and the next act will follow.

Some catastrophe will wipe us out, an extinction like so many before us. We solve differential equations in here about population growth and note that when the population drops to a certain level, it does not rebound but rather tends to extinction. So if such a catastrophe does occur and fails to wipe us all out, it may drop the number below a threshold that we cannot recover from.

Suppose though space exploration and colonization is an avenue for escape.
  13. Jun 14, 2005 #12
    There is another possibility. (Maybe?)
    Depending where we are in the area of genetic research when/if such an event occurs, we may be able to rebound from it and end up with a stronger, more advanced population. Of course, it would depend on the catastrophe. A large enough meteor, nuclear winter, climate change, or plague would present different problems. A plague would probably be the easiest to overcome; since it wouldn't change the environment.
  14. Jun 20, 2005 #13
    By environmental disaster, do you mean any disaster (human caused included), or those beyond our control? Would human induced global warming with catastrophic effects such as flooding due to the melting of polar ice caps be under environmental disaster or the last option with the air and water being toxic (presumably due to our own waste output)?
  15. Jun 28, 2005 #14
    Global warming will melt the polar ice caps enough to throw us into a quick ice age. Countries will wage war against each other for survival which will ensure the world wide use of nuclear weapons ending total human life on earth. Many years later the world will come out of the ice age, the earth will heal itself and nature will continue on. Millions of years later something or someone will be studying our remains trying to figure out how we died off so quickly, just as we do with the dinosaurs.
  16. Jun 28, 2005 #15
    Heh, myngoblin do you believe life is inherently self-destructive then?
  17. Jul 14, 2005 #16
    humans are already killing each other... so i guess... like the giants in harry potter... we will be our own doom... whether it is nuclear warfare, man against man deathmatch, environmental disaster (global warming, ozone depletion whatever), new diseases (what with all the mutation... it's not unlikely), or whatever... humans will make humans extinct like we have many other species....
  18. Jul 14, 2005 #17
    The sun is turning into a white dwarf, a black hole will suck the galaxy, the final version of the string theory will help us fleeing..
  19. Jul 14, 2005 #18
    I think human life, and much animal life, will end when we've simply buggered up the environment enough. Either that or a comet or meteor or whatever does for us what it did for the dinosauruses. Enough humans would probably survive a nucleur disaster to maintain the race. Someone would win the death match, and so survive. If that was a woman pregnant with twins then, while we may get a bit stupider, we may well carry on for a bit longer. There's always someone immune to something, so I doubt disease will do it. And deserting planet Earth won't end human life, just human life on Earth.
  20. Aug 2, 2005 #19
    It won't end.

We will keep it going until the universe is petering out, and by then we will have
    figured out how to start new universes.
  21. Aug 3, 2005 #20
    I think it is most likely humanity will eliminate itself by using our own weapons. The threat of nuclear weapons is ever present and could be catastrophic in the wrong hands(anybodys hands for that matter). Biological weapons created in the labs of rogue terrorist groups could be used to kill millions of people at a time.

Humans seem to be more likely to use their intelligence for some destructive purpose than good. This has been demonstrated throughout history as ever more destructive weapons have been developed for the sole purpose of killing more and more people.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?