Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you think?

1. I can do neither.

26.3%
  2. I can read but not speak.

21.1%
  3. I can speak but not read.

10.5%
  4. I can do both.

42.1%
  1. Nov 14, 2011 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How do you think??

I never thought about this until I saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8sVailoLw

I didn't realize that people have a different way of thinking than me.

So I'm wondering how you think.

Basically, the experiment goes like this: you have to count untill 60 in your head (so don't count out loud!!). In the first experiment, you need to count untill 60 and simultaneously try to read a certain text. In the second experiment, you need to count until 60 and simultaneously say sentences out loud.

Which experiment can you do and which experiment is impossible for you??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: How do you think??

I can do neither. I don't feel dumb that I'm not as gifted as Feynman, though...lol.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK now that I've tried it a bit more, I can read a little. But not at the same time. More like,

My comprehension is seriously affected (negatively) and the pauses between numbers are not equal.

So I guess my vote stays, No I can't do it.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you explain a bit why that happens?? When you read, do you also "say" the words in your head??

I can read and count. But it doesn't go fluently at all...

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Nope, not that good. But I can do 3 tasks simultaneously. I can write, do math, and take verbal instructions to change the writing and math all at once. It was actually a test that AT&T gave to see how many things you can do at once without making a mistake. They called it "overlapping". In the actual job, you would be talking to the customer, while writing down the conversation with one hand, and pulling up and viewing microfilm with the other. That was a LONG time ago. You had to be finished with everything as soon as you hung up, since the next call would immediately be there. Good old customer service rep in the telephone company business office, did that for 18 months before I got promoted.

7. Nov 14, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wow :surprised

8. Nov 14, 2011 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well when I read, I usually read in language, "spoken" out loud in my head.

But years ago I found a different way to think, when I was doing my long physics homework problems. I found a way to turn off the "spoken" language in my head, and just think in...math? It was so much faster!

At that time in my life I was doing this kind of thinking for several hours a day. My language skills deteriorated, though. Especially when I would try to explain to someone how I solved a problem.

I don't think that way very much anymore. But even now, I'm not good at bridging math thinking into words.

9. Nov 14, 2011 #8

Evo

That's cool. I've never had to do the complex math you do.

10. Nov 14, 2011 #9

I was listening to Feynman talk about socks, counting in my head and I also started thinking about what I'd be posting about.

I always found this to be more of a problem than anything else, because at some specific instance, I get lost in a single one of those things I was thinking about.

Also, I can't put my finger on it now, but I know I've done facilitated counting or ordering in similar ways in the past. I'm very OCD about these things because, for god knows what reason, the accuracy of the number of C, F and K mundane things are somehow important! Eventually, I just resort to counting or ordering individually.

11. Nov 14, 2011 #10

Deveno

Science Advisor

i tried it. what i found:

i can read and count simultaneously, but i cannot talk. my internal thoughts have "sound". even typing interferes with this ability, as i apparently compose the words i type by "pre-speaking" them.

12. Nov 14, 2011 #11

Astronuc

When I was in high school, I'd eat while doing math or science homework and listening to the news on TV, and occasionally talk to my parents. I usually needed some background noise, such as the TV or radio, in order to study. Silence was rather irritating.

13. Nov 14, 2011 #12

What! Don't you both hold physics degrees? :D

14. Nov 14, 2011 #13

I can't even explain to myself how I solved a problem :rofl:

15. Nov 15, 2011 #14

About thinking in numbers and doing other things, imagine what a test pilot of an F-5 fighter had to do -a long time ago- during the take off roll initiation.

You would put both engines in max power, ignition the afterburner in two stages. The engine responding with just about all parameters, rpm would roll back a few percent momentarely due to back pressure, exhaust temperature would increase but is checked by opening the exhaust nozzle on a certain staged schedule. The test pilot is required to write down all the numbers that go with all these reactions, some 20 in total occuring in some 2-4 seconds, while he is busy with the take off roll, which requires concentrating on the runway and speed /accelleration checking against distance. And obviously he is all alone. Impossible?

That's what it looks like when you're at the start of the training. But the keyword is "training" (in the flight simulator), making things routine by repeating ad nauseum. And eventually after 50 attemps, you manage to get it in the bone marrow, no longer thinking required, it has become second nature. you just registrate things visually and replay the dial reaction mentally -as in the movement and angle of the pointers- when you jot the numbers down.

So that's what Feynman was doing too, he trained himself counting to lower the level of consiousness that is busy counting and freeing RAM for other mental jobs.

16. Nov 15, 2011 #15

Borek

30 years ago it was nothing unusual to eat, smoke, do a homework and talk with friends all at the same time during a class break. Now if I have to solve some ease question I am getting distracted by the noise of a power supply fan in my computer (that after closing myself in my room, to cut off everything) :grumpy:

17. Nov 15, 2011 #16

Me too! I still do it! Though I tend to focus more on my work than eating.

As for reading and counting at the same time: I can't do it as of now. I am pretty tired right now and I don't know if that would affect it. Ehh well I'll figure it out tomorrow! Goodnight/morning all!

18. Nov 15, 2011 #17

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can read, argue with my wife and count to ten all at the same time.

19. Nov 15, 2011 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

First experiment seems to go fine for a bit, then I get distracted and wander of on a side thought about what I'm reading and forget to count.

Havent made it to 60.

Quiet time so no second experiment yet

20. Nov 15, 2011 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Ok wow, the reading aloud is way tougher while trying to count in my head than reading in my head.

21. Nov 15, 2011 #20

Were you counting the background noise? There is counting in silence too. later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook