Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you use albeit ?

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    How do you use "albeit"?

Apparently I have to show my mastery of the English language on the upcoming AP English exam on Wednesday (or is it Monday?).

So I decided to learn to use a word I've known for a long time, now, but have never bothered to learn to use efficiently. It's one of my most favorite words, albeit quite often misused.

I know that albeit can be used in several ways, such as:

Albeit old, the grandfather clock runs splendidly.
    The runner runs, albeit slowly.

But I'm having trouble figuring out what happens to the idea of a sentence if you use it like:

The grandfather clock is rather dirty, albeit working; nevertheless, it needs cleaning.

Can you use it like that? It feels like something's wrong, because "The grandfather clock is rather dirty" is the main idea here, so negating it with "nevertheless" and following up with a non-negating phrase doesn't seem right.

Or is it okay, since "nevertheless" comes after "albeit in perfect working condition", so it effectively negates the "albeit" part?

I would ask on a grammar forum, but signing up just to ask a question seems pretty bad-mannered to me, so. And the forumgoers here are well educated, no? ;D

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: How do you use "albeit"?

The grandfather clock is rather dirty, albeit working; nevertheless, it needs cleaning.

The grandfather clock is rather dirty, but working; nevertheless, it needs cleaning.

I don't see any difference between the two, nor any difficulty with either construct GRAMMATICALLY, but overall both are awkward and should not be used. Without the "nevertheless" clause, either would be fine.

4. May 11, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Use "albeit" sparingly, but instead of "although" or "though". It is a word that is uncommon in common modern English. I like the word, but then again, I love English Lit.

5. May 12, 2012 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"It's a nice day here albeit a bit overcast."

Ableit is a conjunction that has similar uses to "although"

6. May 12, 2012 #5

I consider albeit proper, albeit old fashioned.

7. May 12, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I worked for an engineer once who tried to use it in a report..."all be it". Whew. And the guy was sooooo arrogant.

8. May 12, 2012 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I don't use albeit, albeit I see it now and then.

9. May 13, 2012 #8

The sentance structure is clunky.
    The way it is written the sentence has added no extra information to the reader with the "nevertheless, .... ".
    Maybe re-write as "The grandfather clock is rather dirty, albeit working; nevertheless, it stood out from its corner in the room as the most shining and imaculate piece of furnature."

And the albeit appears to refer to dirty and not the clock and that is another conflict for the reader.

It would be better to re-write as:
    " The grandfather clock, albeit working, is rather dirty and needs cleaning."

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  10. May 13, 2012 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hmm. From dictionary.com:
    al·be·it
       [awl-bee-it]
    conjunction
    although; even if

I'd say if you can use those phrases then you can use the word "albeit".

11. May 13, 2012 #10

From
    The Word of the Day site

ref
    http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20001107

12. May 13, 2012 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I use "albeit" slightly more often than "betwixt".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook