Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you use LaTeX

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    How do you get it, and how do you use it? Or is it one of those don't ask don't tell kind of things?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

Mk

lol don't ask don't tell! I don't really know. I just use superscript and subscript with the <sup></sup> and <sub></sub> tags (the > and < are ] and [).

4. Feb 2, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Latex is built into the forum. Use "[ tex ]" and "[ /tex ]" and look in i believe the general math area for directions on how to use Latex. It's somewhere in the forum hehe.

5. Feb 2, 2006 #4
    I can teach you. We will just work out a price. I charge by the line of code I teach you. Special characters, matrix, charts, and symbols will cost you extra.

6. Feb 2, 2006 #5

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Feb 2, 2006 #6
    Hypnagogue, you just killed my business :grumpy:

8. Feb 2, 2006 #7

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, just be glad I didn't report you to the other mentors. Exploiting free resources on PF... I bet that would make Zapper angry. And you wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Actually, maybe I will report you anyway. You can convince me otherwise, though; we will just work out a price... :tongue:

9. Feb 2, 2006 #8
    Ill take my chances and call you on your bluff :biggrin: :tongue2:

Thats not exploting, thats finding a new market! You dont scare me! <Runs and hides>

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  10. Feb 3, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if firestrider is asking about using LaTeX on this forum, or elsewhere. Obviously LaTeX here is free and easy to use. If you want to use LaTeX for your own purposes, you'll need access to a Unix machine, or you'll have to install a package like MiKTeX on a windows machine. You'll also need to go through the rather painful learning curve to become proficient with it.

For casual users who need to typeset math for reports and so on, I highly recommend MathType. It's easy to use, and also can generate LaTeX code.

- Warren

11. Feb 3, 2006 #10
    You can try wal-mart, walgreens, or a local pharmacy. And to use them, well they are pretty self-explanatory. o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?