1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you write positive and negative intervals, increasing/decreasing intervals

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    I do not understand positive and negative intervals and increasing/decreasing intervals. I included 2 examples from my textbook which I did not understand and I was wondering if someone can explain it to me.

Example 1:

f(x) = 2 - x

x intercept is (2, 0) and y-intercept is (0,2)

f(x) is positive when xε(-∞, 2) and negative xε(2, ∞)
    f(x) is decreasing when xε(-∞, ∞)

reciprocal od the function is g(x) = 1 / 2 - x

reciprocal function is positive when xε(-∞, 2) and negative xε(2, ∞)
    It is increasing when xε(-∞, 2) and when xε(2, ∞)

Example 2:

f(x) = 9 - x^2

x-intercepts are 3 and -3

f(x) is positive when xε(-3, 3) and negative when xε(-∞, -3) and when xε(3, ∞)
    f (x) is increasing when xε(-∞, 0) and decreasing when xε(0, ∞)

g(x) = 1 / 9- x^2

reciprocal function is positive when xε(-3, 3) and negative xε(-∞, -3) and when xε(3, ∞)
    It is decreasing when xε(-∞, -3) and when xε( -3, 0) and increasing when xε(0, 3) and when xε(3, ∞)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

xε(-∞, 2) means x < 2. When x < 2, f(x) > 0.
    xε(2, ∞) means x > 2. When x >2, f(x) < 0.
    When you look at the graph from left to right, the x values are increasing. As the x values increase, the corresponding f(x) values are decreasing.

xε(-∞, 0): for all values "between" -∞ and 0 (ie. the left side of the graph), as you look left to right, the corresponding f(x) values are increasing.
    xε(0, ∞): for all values "between" 0 and ∞ (ie. the right side of the graph), as you look left to right, the corresponding f(x) values are decreasing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook