Help Someone Feel Their Life Has Meaning

• Thread starter Carly
  • Start date
In summary, you try to make someone see that their life isn't meaningless by showing that you and other people care about them, by letting them help others, or by getting them to take medication or go to emergency treatment.
Carly
How do you try to make someone see that their life isn't meaningless? I know at time people feel like that, and I know that I have. I've got this friend who I thought was more stable than I was, but it turns out its all a...lie, I guess you could say.
They don't seem to want any help in feeling better but as I'm so close to them its only natural to want to help out. And I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advise as I'm at a total lose at what to do.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Carly, it's tough to be close to someone who needs help and isn't willing or ready to accept that help. If it's as bad as it sounds from your description, there probably isn't too much you can do on your own, these problems sound like they are beyond just having a friend around, but need referral to a professional. See if you can talk your friend into talking to a counselor or doctor about this problem. Let them know you're worried about them, that you care, if they want to talk, you're there to listen, you'll go with them to the counselor's office and wait for them in the waiting room if they don't want to walk in alone. If at any time your friend starts to talk about any explicit plans for suicide ("maybe I should just take some pills" or "do you think it hurts to if you kill yourself by doing ..."), don't hesitate to call for emergency treatment.

If you're not sure how to get your friend help, you can talk to a counselor yourself and get advice from them on how to approach your friend, what to say, how to get them to get help.

Carly said:
How do you try to make someone see that their life isn't meaningless? I know at time people feel like that, and I know that I have. I've got this friend who I thought was more stable than I was, but it turns out its all a...lie, I guess you could say.
They don't seem to want any help in feeling better but as I'm so close to them its only natural to want to help out. And I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advise as I'm at a total lose at what to do.
Thank you
One way to help people feel better about themselves is not to help them, but to let them help others. This can add a feeling of accomplishment and selfworth. This works best if it is done subtly.

Give him Frankl's 'Mans' Search for Meaning' for Christmas.

'The number 42', You took the words right out of my mouth. Coincidently, I am writing an essay as we speak about that book and its relation to depression.

Making peoepl realize that there are people worse off or that they have something to live for is always good. Mine used to be music and science but it is now them and, mroe so, my girlfriend. Other the last month I have wanted to just sit in a corner and die but someone or something said 'No. Don't'.

Force them to do something good without them realising it is a set up and make fuss over it or pretend to be in a bad mood and make it really obvious and hope they try to help and maybe a lot of the problems will come out and be easier to handle.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
Making peoepl realize that there are people worse off

No, this just tends to make them angry. When a person is truly depressed, this will at best add guilt and make them feel worse, or at worst make them angry and stop talking to you altogether about it.

Carly said:
How do you try to make someone see that their life isn't meaningless?

Show that you and other people care about him/her and that he/she has a positive influence on your lives.

Or get him/her to volunteer helping other people.

Religion works for many people, but that could be a tough sell to someone so depressed.

If he/she is clinically depressed, then a doctor could help (medication).

Phobos said:
Show that you and other people care about him/her and that he/she has a positive influence on your lives.

Or get him/her to volunteer helping other people.

Religion works for many people, but that could be a tough sell to someone so depressed.

If he/she is clinically depressed, then a doctor could help (medication).

From my experience, medication or forced emergency treatment is not the way to go. Many anti-depressant drugs have very, very strong side-effects, and some, namely Lexapro, have been known to make matters worse. As far as `forced' treatment, I don't see that as healing, but more like a safeguard to others.

If the person is suicidal, help them - don't imprison them in some place they don't care to be. This is the absolute worst you can do; I've been a witness to it and the poor quality of the mental healthcare system.

The best thing you can do for them is to let them see that they are useful, however, that may be.

Last edited:
"Emergency Help" for derpession is not a good answer. Groups that try and help people with a problem (rehave or rehab? I can't spell it) really don't work. First of all, why would your friend feel better for going to get help for his/her brain? :| Secondly, they don't know him/her. You do, however.

I'm sad to say that it's hard for logical thinking people to accept help so rashly. I know, if I were in that perdicament, I wouldn't heed the words of anyone except a girl, that I liked... For sure.

Depending on your friend's personality, it may be best just to leave him/her alone with the problem. That's not to say that you should leave him/her alone. It's to say that you should organize group activities, but don't talk about the problem. Try to invoke subliminal messeges while you're at it. Often things that people find out for themselves have more impact than someone's advice, as it holds no bias.

I had a problem like this with a guy at work. He wanted to kill himself and all that annoying crap.

People need to realize that a meaningless life is what makes it fun. I love life because it is meaningless. I do the things I do because I want to do them and not because it is meant for me to do.

People get confused and think they have a duty in life when in reality they don't. If you did duties, life would be like a job where eventually you want to quit.

Think about the word quit.

While i dont' disagree with you in principle, your attitude about the whole thing makes me hope someone who feels that way enver turns to you for help.

Phobos said:

This is true, but they know that they have a positive influence on my life. And I don't think they're at the stage of being clinically depressed so pills are not the answer. Its more a feeling of being trapped

But as they don't want to be helped it makes it all a lot harder as I feel if the problem is left it will turn into something more serious

Look in the dictionary and show them the description of "life". You will see it isn't meaningless. Aimless... but not meaningless.

jimmy p said:
Look in the dictionary and show them the description of "life". You will see it isn't meaningless. Aimless... but not meaningless.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And how did you manage to lose to Saint in the funniest member award?

franznietzsche said:

I don't know but my bro is funny yet his point is good. It is aimless. I need a corner to crawl into and die in.

The Bob (2004 ©)

franznietzsche said:

because nothing is funnier than someone who's not trying to be funny;)

On this topic, Carly, I can definitely empathize with you. I had a long time friend who suffered through many bouts of depression and other personal issues. I tried to help her, and had to eventually let her go in spite of my desire to help her. They have to first want to help themselves before you can help them. I wish I had an answer for you, but I wasn't able to help my friend. Self realization is the only way to come to terms with something like this. And if you try and force anything, they push you away all the more.

Zantra said:
And if you try and force anything, they push you away all the more.

That is too true. I suppose all I can do it make it known to them that I'm there if they ever need help

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:

Well, he was the better man, and as Zantra said, he could do it without trying. That takes class and I am humbled by his presence, immoral as it may be to worship him like that...

1. What does it mean to help someone feel their life has meaning?

Helping someone feel their life has meaning means helping them find purpose, fulfillment, and a sense of worth in their life. It involves supporting them in discovering their passions, values, and goals, and encouraging them to live a meaningful and fulfilling life.

2. Why is it important to help someone feel their life has meaning?

Feeling like our life has meaning is essential for our overall well-being and happiness. When we have a sense of purpose and direction in life, we are more motivated, resilient, and have a positive outlook. By helping someone feel their life has meaning, we can improve their mental, emotional, and even physical health.

3. How can I help someone feel their life has meaning?

There are many ways to help someone feel their life has meaning. Some examples include listening to them and showing genuine interest in their passions and goals, encouraging them to pursue their interests and values, and supporting them in their personal growth and development. You can also help by being a positive and supportive presence in their life and reminding them of their strengths and accomplishments.

4. What are some signs that someone may be struggling to find meaning in their life?

Some common signs that someone may be struggling to find meaning in their life include feeling lost or stuck, lacking motivation or direction, and experiencing a sense of emptiness or dissatisfaction. They may also have a negative outlook and struggle with low self-esteem or self-worth. It's important to pay attention to these signs and offer support and understanding to help them find meaning in their life.

5. Is finding meaning in life a one-time thing, or is it an ongoing process?

Finding meaning in life is an ongoing process. Our values, interests, and goals may change over time, and it's normal to go through periods of feeling lost or uncertain. It's important to regularly reassess our priorities and make adjustments as needed to ensure our life continues to feel meaningful and fulfilling. Helping someone feel their life has meaning is also an ongoing process that requires ongoing support and understanding.