How does -9.2*m/s + 3.6 Kg become 2.6m/s?

• Thread starter superjoebob
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help on converting a physics equation with a mass and speed attached to it into a single number. They provided an example of a collision problem and asked for clarification on how to solve for a positive number when dealing with algebraic equations involving units like m/s. The expert explained the algebra behind isolating the variable and performing multiplication to get a positive result. The expert also suggested refreshing on algebra skills before attempting physics questions.
superjoebob

Homework Statement

The problem is that there are a bunch of physics equations were they end up with a number like 9.2 (then the dot that means times i think) and then m/s. How do I convert a number with both mass and speed attached to it to just a single number?

Homework Equations

none that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive got nothing

I also forgot to mention that m/s isn't a variable, its an empty thing that just seems to be attached to my numbers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post an example..?

a child rolls a superball of mass of 0.025kg at a speed of 2.3m/s and it collides head on with a ball of 0.020kg. What are the new speeds of the 2 balls after collision?

m1=0.025
m2=0.020
v1=2.3m/s
newv1=?
newv2=?

There is no friction or any other force acting, its completely 1 dimensional. The collision is elastic.

Its a textbook example.

near the end it says

"0=-9.2kg*m/s + 3.6 kg*newv2, or newv2=0

Since newv2=0 corresponds to no collision, we must have:

0=-9.2kg*m/s + 3.6kg*newv2
newv2=+2.6m/s"

how do they get that!?

They took the 9.2 to the left hand side and divided by 3.6 to get "newv2". It's algebra.

but that comes out with negative 2.6, how does it become posotive?

It doesn't come out negative.

0 = -9.2 + 3.6x

When solving for x, you get a positive number.

because x moves left of the = sign?

Yes. You should refresh on your algebra skills before you attempt to do physics questions.

ok it all makes sense now :) thanks Snazzy. Its not that I don't know algebra its just that that random m/s threw me off

Doesn't matter which one moves. In the end after the algebra is done, you have two positive numbers.

Dividing by two positive numbers will yield to another positive number.

It changes sign because in order to solve for 'x', you need to isolate that term so you can perform multiplication by 1/3.6 .

Therefore:

0 = -9.2 + 3.6x
9.2 + 0 = 9.2 + (-9.2) + 3.6x
9.2 = 9.2 + (-9.2) + 3.6x ------ additive identity a + 0 = a
9.2 = 0 + 3.6x ----- additive inverse a + (-a) = 0
9.2 = 3.6x ---- additive identity
(1/3.6)*9.2 = (1/3.6)*3.6x
2.55 ~= (1/3.6)*3.6x
2.55 ~= 1*x -------- multiplicative inverse a/a = 1
2.55 ~= x ------- multiplicative identity 1*a = a

That's pretty much the algebra behind it. I mean I'm not sure that you were clear with that based off your replies though.

1. How do you calculate the final velocity from the given values?

The final velocity can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity is -9.2 m/s, the acceleration is 0 (since there is no mention of acceleration in the given values), and the time is not given. Therefore, we cannot calculate the final velocity with the given information.

2. What units should be used for the initial and final velocities?

The units for both the initial and final velocities should be meters per second (m/s). This is a standard unit for measuring velocity in the metric system.

3. How does the mass affect the final velocity in this equation?

In this equation, the mass (3.6 kg) does not affect the final velocity. The final velocity is only determined by the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. Mass can affect velocity in other situations, such as when an object's mass affects its acceleration due to gravity.

4. Is it possible for the final velocity to be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the final velocity to be negative. In this equation, the final velocity would be negative if the initial velocity is negative and the acceleration is 0. This means that the object is slowing down from its initial velocity.

5. Can this equation be used to calculate the displacement of an object?

No, this equation cannot be used to calculate displacement. The equation only calculates the final velocity, which is the speed and direction of an object at a specific point in time. Displacement, on the other hand, is the change in an object's position over a period of time and requires information about the object's initial and final positions, not just its velocity.